Liver Flukes

SpiceMan

Following the death of Sayan Sanya, I began to wonder about my own possible exposure to the parasites that cause liver cancer.

I understand that eating raw fish is a risk. Does that mean that the sushi that is served in the Japanese restaurants in Bangkok carries the infestation?

Also my wife and I like to eat pickled anchovies on salads at home. Is this also risky?

From Mr. Google ...

<< In the case of sashimi and sushi made with raw fish, two factors go into making sushi safe: the type of fish, and how the fish is handled. As a general rule, freshwater fish species are not safe to eat raw, because they often contain parasites which can only be eliminated by cooking. Ocean species are less likely to have parasites, especially if they are handled properly, which brings up the second factor. The best fish are processed rapidly at sea and then frozen. Rapid processing removes the intestines before they have a chance to burst and allow bacteria and parasites into the body cavity. Freezing kills any parasites which might have lingered, rendering the fish safe to use. >>

http://www.wisegeek....safe-to-eat.htm

You can not only get liver flukes by eating uncooked freshwaterfish or snail, but also by swimming in lakes that are infested by liverflukes.

The liver flukes seem to a particular problem in the Esan, where occasionally one can still come across a bill board saying: Esan people dont eat raw fish, to prevent them from following this die hard habit.

My ex hailed from Sakon. And the large Nong Han lake in this area is known for being infested by liver flukes. Hoi Khan.

Archived