New Work Visa Rules

cavanami

just like a permanent residence in EU for a spouse is supposed to become invalid once spouse dies/divorce etc, but who is gonna enforce this?

surely a already issued thai permit to stay (based on marriage) will remain valid too until expiry come death/divorce etc.

BUT of course application based on marriage (even with existing certificates) will be denied given the thais wants the wife to actually show up to prove an ongoing marriage .... not stupid people really :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just like a permanent residence in EU for a spouse is supposed to become invalid once spouse dies/divorce etc, but who is gonna enforce this?

surely a already issued thai permit to stay (based on marriage) will remain valid too until expiry come death/divorce etc.

BUT of course application based on marriage (even with existing certificates) will be denied given the thais wants the wife to actually show up to prove an ongoing marriage .... not stupid people really :)

This has not always been the case I think it was around 2005 or 2006 when this came into effect before that it was just pop down to Penang with marriage certificate and come back the next day with a 12 month visa, I know many guys who had sham marriages just for the certificate. Hence the reason I said to TTM one is OK until expiry date of existing Visa.

Now if on a Non-Imm B and the contract expires that is a different matter, and the 7 day rule does kick in, even though my Ex and I had been living together since 2004 and had wedding ceremony in 2006 I was on a Non-Imm B it was only in 2008 when my contract expired I had 7 days to make a mad dash to Aranyapathet to pop over to Poipet and get a 30 day VOA on my return (Remember those days 30 days on land border crossings) and a 30 day window to register the marriage at city hall.

It's a catch 22 situation, Non-Imm B relying on employment, Non-Imm O on marriage where she could pull the rug at anytime but still legible for a work permit or Non-Imm O Retirement which needs twice the amount of funds either income or bank but not allowed hold a work permit.

Yep, once upon a time you got a marriage visa and renewed it easily by yourself, no need for the wife to appear with you. Not any more ... if the marriage ends for any reason, the visa will not be renewed. Happened to a friend, whose 40-something wife died of a massive heart attack. He switched to retirement, since he had no plans to work any more.

Yep, once upon a time you got a marriage visa and renewed it easily by yourself, no need for the wife to appear with you. Not any more ... if the marriage ends for any reason, the visa will not be renewed. Happened to a friend, whose 40-something wife died of a massive heart attack. He switched to retirement, since he had no plans to work any more.

That is all well and good if you meet the requirements for a retirement visa, i.e. aged 50 and over. There are many widowed and divorced foreigners under the age of 50 who don't have the option to switch to a retirement visa and don't have any children what are they supposed to do?

What would your friend have done if he was not over 50, been in Thailand years probably home paid for his wife passes away then told "Sorry No Visa"? In the case of Divorce if the case is going through courts you would be granted temporary extension to stay on a 90 day basis by court order until the divorce is finalised and registered at city hall, once the ink is dried on the divorce paper you have 7 days to get out.

Kong, the guy was fortunate in that he had a codicil (or whatever) on the property deed stating that he had the right to live in the house even if the marriage ended. Otherwise, his wife's relatives could have claimed his home. They were decent folks who didn't even try, but I am sure plenty of Thais would have gone after such a "windfall".

Trink when he was still writing used to go on about the 800,000 baht retirement requirement without any regard to how long one has worked and lived here. Since the base pay for foreign universities lecturers is still only 27,500 baht a month, they might have a helluva time getting that much money together into an account that they couldn't even live off of. The major universities do add from 3,000 to 8,000 to the government pay, since they'd be shit out of luck getting qualified lecturers otherwise. Also, the unies that do get the top people are those that have plenty of extra work available at from 900 to 2,000 an hour. Thaksin is the SOB who raised the amount from 400,000 to 800,000. Also, originally one could use a condo or stocks for that 400,000. Thaksin killed that. Has to be money in the bank only.

Flash,

Sounds like your friend had a Usufruct Agreement in place, why more foreigners don't use a Usufruct and go for Company approach I will never know.

But as I previously mentioned his was also over 50 so eligible for a retirement visa, what if he had been 47 when his wife passed away, the Usufruct Agreement covers his rights to property but if no children he would have not been issued a visa. This is a Grey area of immigration law, you could have lived here 20 years even had a work permit in the past and paid Thai taxes on your income got married bought a home and then your wife passes away and there is no Visa to cover it.

Here is a lil VDO about Usufruct Agreement for anyone interested.

anything you could do legally to try and protect ones ass that's cool, but in the end if one is none the wisest & ones bitch & her scheming family wants a dirty deal well they sure are the home team & all the officals are easily in their pocket if need be lol :p

mekong is our great example of that it can go the other way when one wise up & willing with means to fight for years, but for the rest of us...better be ready to walk away from it all...not much different from a divorce in the wet really I have heard :D

so how did one get that 1 year extension again? 400k in the bank for how long before applying? :condom:

Archived