New Work Visa Rules

cavanami

Looks like fark the farang...again...

Hot off the press, today...

spacer424x10.png

Dear GTCC members, guests and friends,

Effective immediately, the Immigration Bureau has issued new regulations concerning the duration period of a visa in the case that a passport is expiring.

The rule also covers the transfer of the visa from the old passport to the new passport.

1) Long term employment visas will only be issued/extended to the date that the work permit holder’s passport expires.

2) Dependent visa(s) for family members of the work permit holder will only be issued/extended to match the date of work permit holder's visa. The dependent’s visas will expire on the same date that the work permit holder's passport/visa expires, even if the dependent’s passports will still be valid.

3) The long term employment visa will no longer be automatically transferred from the old passport to the new passport. Instead, when the long term employment visa holder has obtained a new passport, the visa holder and family members will need to re-apply for a new visa application by submitting all the required documents for long term visa extension and paying a fee of baht 1,900 per person.

4) At the same time that the work permit holder transfers the visa to the new passport, the dependents can also extend their dependent visas to match the permitted period of the work permit holder's visa.

Note: For a non-BOI company the old visa will be transferred into the new passport based on the expiry date of the old visa (which is the date the old passport expired). The passport holder will then be give a new one-year period from the date the old visa expired.

For BOI promoted company, the validity period of the new visa after being transferred into the new passport will be the same as the permitted period specified in the BOI approval letter originally granted to the work permit holder.

Any BOI visa application filled before August 26, 2013 will be processed as per the previous regulation. Therefore, no new visa application must be made in such case.

Thank you to Dej-Udom & Associates for providing the above information.

We are already in contact with AMCHAM and other Foreign Chambers to work together and inform the Immigration Office of the impact of the lack of notice and regulation changes will have on our members.

Best regards,

JÓ§rg Buck

GTCC Executive Director

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it "Fark the Farang?"

Last time I looked out of 100,000 Work Permits issued to foreign nationals in Thailand over 47,000 were held by Japanese, Chinese, Indian and Pinoy nationals with Japan being the highest at over 23,000 far outnumbering UK 8,481 and USA 6,838 combined.

Item 1 Nothing New no country in the world will issue a visa for longer than validity of passport and Thailand never has.

Item 2 No Idea I don't have any non Thai nationals as Dependents

Item 3 The only change instead of Auto transfer for free it now costs 1,900 Baht, I think this will Fark Indians and Pinoy's more than Farangs

Item 4 See Item 2

So as far as I see the only change is instead of free transfer to new passport applicants now have to pay 1,900 Baht so what is the big deal? most other countries charge for this service already.

http://www.un.or.th/documents/tmr-2011.pdf

Around 80% of Thais are exempt of paying taxes, since their monthly or yearly income income is below the threshold and the other 20% of Thais most likely evade paying tax as much as possible, as in any other country.

Going by the number of 100,000 wp's being issued, the funny thing is that 100% of these wp holders will pay tax and get for free without any extra charge get shafted around.

Now let's open the can of worms that's called Non 'O' visa.

Now let's open the can of worms that's called Non 'O' visa.

I only know about my own circumstances which is Non-Imm "O" based on marriage. If I spend less than 180 days / year in Thailand then no problem if over 180 days then money earned overseas could be subject to Thai taxes.

I only know about my own circumstances which is Non-Imm "O" based on marriage.

I was contemplating that kind of visa when the retirement day comes. Stickman reported, a possible situation, if something happened to your wife, or the marriage broke, you have 24 hours to leave Thailand or apply for a 7 days extension. According to that report, when "marriage status" ceases, that's the law.

I would rather be independent of those circumstances.

I was contemplating that kind of visa when the retirement day comes. Stickman reported, a possible situation, if something happened to your wife, or the marriage broke, you have 24 hours to leave Thailand or apply for a 7 days extension. According to that report, when "marriage status" ceases, that's the law.

I would rather be independent of those circumstances.

Not sure about wife passing away but in case of Divorce Non-Imm O is still valid until expiry date

Since your daughter is a Thai National you would be eligible for Non-Imm O "Supporting Family Member" so if anything did happen you would be covered

OK, thanks, when it comes into consideration.

If as today, expect to be in Japan until 2020 Olympics and my daughter will be 16 years old by then.

As for Thailand in 7 years, I don't know. Whoever is in charge now, will be in charge on that dreaded day.

What happens after, anyone's guess. Watching as a fence seater. What else? Thais themselves are banned from debating "what after". What can we say?

Archived