Live Crab Vending Machines

StoneSoup

I tried to explain to many Thais that we use the Latin/Roman script. But they insist it is the English script and the rest of the world copied it :( . Many Thais have asked me why the Dutch, French and Germans use the English script and we do not have one of our own.

Even educated Thais think that.

If not in that machine, where else the crabs for sale would be and in what way displayed?

Same thing - in a basket, packed one over another, sapped. Boxing them in the pack is the difference that some may find cruel.

What happens to them after being picked - does not change. Dropped in the boiling water, alive. That is how they are prepared and eaten the world over, not only in Asia.

About cruelty, a point or two should be made, Crabs, Crayfish, Lobsters etc are invertebrates (yes yes Crustacea but still invertebrates). It is debatable whether or not they consciously feel pain, they haven't got the thought processes you see... Anyway, with the proviso that the machine is chilled, the Crabs would be at best semi or unconscious due to temperature. Same thing happens to us, if we get too cold and our body temperature falls below what it should be, we get unconscious. In such a state I could survive for quite a while in a fridge and then be dropped into hot water, for the cooking, without knowing it...

The cruelty involved therefore, in my estimation, is in the initial chilling process which probably starts after being caught, being chucked on ice...

We had a number of SPCA cases in NZ a long time ago about crayfish being boiled "alive" and the result has been that if the cray has been chilled enough, it won't move when boiled, therefore it's OK. Curiously, technically the cray is still alive just less conscious, so the real problem here is "Crayfish moving when cooked"

This argument is diametrically opposed to my feelings on Vietnamese killing chickens and such...

• 4 weeks later...

Coss, in Taiwan, in the old "alley" which was notorious for any type of food had one of the "Games" you see in arcades, put in a coin, a crain you position above a doll or toy, then hit "Drop" and down it goes to catch you hope the doll for your girlfriend.

Except in Taiwan it was live lobsters, the "fun" was as the crane came down, they'd all jump and fly around to avoid it.

Odd people.

Archived