Both Pilots Asleep At Controls Of Packed Passenger Jet

cavanami

Hey, you have a few drinks, enjoy and meal...of course you get sleepy! WTF!!!

Both Pilots Asleep At Controls of Packed Passenger Jet

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/both-pilots-asleep-controls-packed-passenger-jet-172820727--abc-news-topstories.html

Two pilots flying a commercial airliner filled with passengers were both asleep at the controls last month, leaving the jet on autopilot for an unknown amount of time, British aviation authorities said.

Authorities have not released the names of the pilots or the airline, but disclosed that the incident took place in August aboard an Airbus A330, capable of carrying up to 350 passengers, operated by a British-based airline.

The pilots came clean to authorities on their own, reporting the incident to their airline and the U.K.'s Civil Aviation Authority.

The pilots said they had received little sleep over two nights due to busy flight schedules and planned to rotate taking 20-minute naps, but they discovered they had both fallen asleep at the same time.

A pilot reported "both members of flight crew had only 5 hrs sleep in two nights due to longer duty period with insufficient opportunity to sleep," according to a report by the CAA...

I had an uncle fly for TWA from just after WWII to around 1980, when he hit 60 years old. By the time that I knew him, he had enough seniority to fly US - Europe routes. I specifically remember when my older brother got married, he would be breathing a bottle of pure oxygen, which supposedly got rid of much of the balance of alcohol in his system, as he was flying later that day. For the BM's that are pilots, did this actually work?

My paramedic friend, when staying over night after a party, offered my guests intra-venous fluids in the morning (water with salts via a drip into the arm).

Nobody was hungover enough to take him up on the offer. We are having another party in 2 weeks so who knows what will happen.

When people show up at the hospital seriously fucked up (eg, excessively drunk) it's standard to treat them with an IV drip to keep them hydrated, also to keep blood sugar levels safe. Never heard of it removing alcohol from their system quicker - more to mitigate side effects and other possible complications.

Archived