New/old Car Policy For Bkk?

cavanami

The TV News mentioned that vehicles over 10 years old and if they broke down in BKK, would be fined 100 Baht per minute until they were towed away!

Seems like BKK wants to get the traffic flowing better and they think the older vehicles breaking down on the highways cause too many problems :dunno:

I seldom see an older vehicle broken down such that it is causing a severe traffic problem. I'm sure there are cases of this but from what I have seen about 1/2 of the break downs also involve newer vehicles...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link...as I just caught the TV News heading out the door this morning.

Looks like my 1997 beater pickup may be heading for Isaan :dunno:

Now, the resale price will go down, while the sale price of the non-ten year old vehicles will go up...shit!!!

It "works" in Singapore - if you can call that success.

I have to agree though - there are not that many old cars on the roads in Thailand in the first place. I will guess it is significantly fewer than 10% - maybe even 5%. So - it is indeed just about artificially stimulating the domestic auto manufacturing sector.

In the 1980s some major roads in Bangkok could only be travelled at certain times of the day by cars with 2 or more people in them. That would eliminate 95% of the traffic. :)

Some funny news in the papers each time the cops would stop drivers with an inflatable doll sitting next to them. ;)

:soapbox: If this idea for the tax/older vehicles gets thru...I can see a horde of vehicles heading up country! If one must pay the road tax on his old beater, then why keep the old beater :dunno:

Used vehicle prices will drop like a rock! New(er) vehicles will see a marked increase in price!!

Maybe time to sell off the beater and get something newer :dunno:

or wait it out and see what falls out...

.....there are not that many old cars on the roads in Thailand in the first place. I will guess it is significantly fewer than 10% - maybe even 5%. So - it is indeed just about artificially stimulating the domestic auto manufacturing sector.

You need 20 breakages a day to mess the traffic. If they are caused by jalopy cars, police would have data to show. Looking at parking lots at shopping malls in the suburbs, let alone Siam Paragon or The Emporium, hardly any car over 10 years, most are even under 5.

It may work the way many cities have a rule no vehicles over 3t.

How about those red and green baht buses, they break a lot and look 50 years old?

Archived