Favorite English Mangles

gawguy

I saw a beautiful T-Shirt on a working girl this morning. It made reference to a large hamburger company whose name we dare not write. The T-Shirt used vivid red, white, and yellow (for arches) on a black background. It looked good and even upgraded the woman's look a little (although a little was not enough.) In crisp letters, perfectly spelled out, it said, "Going to McD's for a salon is like going to a prostitute for a hug." This is high-level stuff - a simile is not a linguistic trifle and the word "salon" connotes luxury and sophistication. The vocabulary, although I'm sure she had no idea what it was, fit the wearer. I'm sure a tidy sum went into this run of lovely shirts.

But WTF does it mean? It means the spell checker went wild and the designer who crafted the shirt had trusted it completely, not knowing much about spell checkers. Ignorance is bliss and none the wiser they are probably turning out oodles of the shirts which are being scooped up by Thai customers, also none the wiser. They just like McD's.

I once had a cute Thai girlfriend who was very proud of and lovely in a T-shirt with a big heart on the front, under which was scribed, "Sweet Hard." Although that fusion of words does have a provocative sexual dynamic, I don't think it was intentional.

I think a lot of us like to collect mangles of this kind. The bigger and more official the thing is that they are written on, the funnier. Some of your favorites??

My regular has long since learned to query the text on any shirt she's thinking of buying, even to the extent of sending me pictures with Line just to make sure I will not laugh :) Think Vursarchey and Luis Vuuton, and then such stand outs as 'Kuss me'

I remember once walking on the elevated BTS walkway near Central World, idly observing a hi-so mother and father (well-dressed, probably very well educated) walking toward me, with their 10 year old (?) daughter skipping alongside happily, with a colorful T-shirt featuring an indistinct brown triangle, and the caption "Member - Champion Muff-Diving Team". I started to crack up just as they approached me - and the parents sort of looked at me askance, and edged slightly farther away from me.

I'm sure the mother must have congratulated herself warmly when she purchased that shirt for her young daughter, impressed with its prestigious, yet puzzling English text.

I can't really remember any mangles. I have seen plenty of what people are posting, however. It is not mangled, just in an unknown language to the wearers.

e.g. The child I saw wearing a t-shirt that said "Fuck off, wankers!" Or the student in my class wearing a t-shirt that read "Beer drinkers get more head". One female colleague asked me to explain a t-shirt to her that said "Elevator operators have straighter shafts." I told her I'd explain it when she got older. Others that come to mind ... the cutie sitting in class wearing "I'm so happy, I could just SHIT!" And the sly one wearing "Stop staring at my tits." Something told me that gal knew exactly what it meant. ;)

I've seen similar shirts on sale in the Bangkok department stores.

When I was a newbie only a year or two in, I had a g/f who had a couple of friends we would hang out with. One had a taxi cab and we would take trips with him - even as far a Hua Hin, for free. He had one of those straw hats with a band that said, "Amazing Thailand." After over a year of knowing him, and not being quite as new anymore, I thought to ask him a smart-ass question: "What does it say on your hat?" No idea! None of them had any idea, even though it was the primary tourist slogan for Thailand, seen everywhere on bulletin boards, TV, etc. It's pretty much like everything else written in English - nobody cares. And spelling it, hah! - "salon" / "salad" - close enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a dress/shirt on a young lovely yesterday "Absolut Vomit!'

And on a related note, here is the photo of the sign I've been meaning to post. This sign is pinned to the Lao PDR nation's crowning glory, the bestest monument in the land, Patuxai. Surprisingly derogatory...

Archived