ไว้ Again

gawguy

I want to be sure I understand this text message response. I txt'd her and asked her where she was. She said she was taking care of her child because school was out. He has come to Pattaya for awhile.

à¸à¹‡à¹€à¸¥à¸¢à¸•à¹‰à¸­à¸‡à¸­à¸¢à¸¹à¹ˆà¸à¸±à¸šà¸¥à¸¹à¸à¸à¹ˆà¸­à¸™ She has to stay with the kid.

ไว้เจอà¸à¸±à¸™à¹ƒà¸«à¸¡à¹ˆà¸™à¸°à¸„่ะ This is what I'm not sure about. Is she saying we're going to meet again in the future? I'm not sure why she can't leave the kid for a couple of hours and come see me.

I've asked about this word ไว้ before and was told that in contexts like these it referred to a future event or possible event.

In that case it was เอาไว้ฉันไปพัทยาฉันจะโรทหา Which I think translates something like "If / when I go to Pattaya sometime, I will call you."

There was a break, but it looks like she put it in the wrong place by mistake. Or maybe phones throw one in sometimes? At any rate it makes sense with the ไว้ at the end of the previous sentence. (Are they called sentences? Does Thai have sentences? It would help.) Thanks a lot.

ตอนนี้อยู่ดูà¹à¸¥à¸¥à¸¹à¸à¹†à¹€à¸‚าปิดเทอมมาพัà¸à¸œà¹ˆà¸­à¸™à¹€à¸—ี่ยวที่พัทยาลำดวนà¸à¹‡à¹€à¸¥à¸¢à¸•à¹‰à¸­à¸‡à¸­à¸¢à¸¹à¹ˆà¸à¸±à¸šà¸¥à¸¹à¸à¸à¹ˆà¸­à¸™ ไว้เจอà¸à¸±à¸™à¹ƒà¸«à¸¡à¹ˆà¸™à¸°à¸„่ะลฉันคิดถึงคุณมาร์คดูà¹à¸¥à¸„่ะ

• 2 weeks later...

ไว้ goes with the previous sentence. She should have put a break after it.

And she will meet you later.

Nope...the ไว้ goes with the เจอà¸à¸±à¸™, not with the previous phrase; the space between the two phrases is intentional on her part..."à¸à¹ˆà¸­à¸™à¹„ว้" makes no sense. However, ไว้เจอà¸à¸±à¸™à¹ƒà¸«à¸¡à¹ˆ is a standard way of saying, "Okay, we'll meet again!"

:up:

I don't recall ever hearing anyone say it. Live and learn ...

I second that! ไว้ is a great example of the complexity of language.Syntax, nuance, special cases... I'm surprised that it keeps turning up in Issan girls' text messages. I don't hear it verbally very much.

Thanks for the input. GG (what about my more recent post? I'm really interested to know if I actually got something kind of right?)

Archived