Bt500 Foreigner-Entry Fee On The Table

Flashermac

"The scheme would also prevent foreigners staying in the country after their visas have expired. There are about 100,000 foreigners in Thailand whose visas have expired but they refuse to leave the country, the reports said."

Hang on, Visa expires, Immigration come to tell me to leave, I refuse, they walk away shaking their heads? Unlikely.

I agree, just another money making scheme.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang on, Visa expires, Immigration come to tell me to leave, I refuse, they walk away shaking their heads? Unlikely.

I agree, just another money making scheme.

Another hair brain idea from the Thaksin government. I know i know he's not here, but he calls all the shots. Whose pocket will this line?

Some one is not thinking this through completely -

The Public Health Ministry is considering enforcing a plan to collect a 500-baht entry fee from tourists to help cover foreigners' unpaid medical bills at hospitals.

The plan is part of the ministry's policy to help take care of foreign visitors who get into accidents or fall sick in Thailand and seek treatment but cannot pay their medical bills.

1. They really don't want provided travelers or medical insurance - they only want to tax tourist to pay for the unpaid bills.

2. But anyone who pays the THB 500 will now expect some service for their payment - so instead of paying for any accident - everyone who pays this will expect medical bills to be covered by this "insurance" - which for sure is not the intention.

This will not go much further - but it will probably get a lot of (negative) press.

Seriously, when I saw the article about that tax in the BKK Post, i thought that our Board Bar has better thought contributions.

Ridiculous is that intention. Pom Michael put the points right.

Can't even believe someone in charge could come with an idea like that.

Still smarting, what might be behind it? Seems as a plain daylight robbery of everyone coming into Thai. Or a prank that has turned BKK Post into a casual "say what you want" place?

AoT to increase airport departure tax

A meeting of the board of directors of Airports of Thailand Plc has agreed to increase the passenger departure charge for domestic and international flights by 100 baht, AoT Chairman Sitha Thivaree said on Thursday.

The departure tax for domestic flights will rise from 100 baht to 200 baht and from 700 baht to 800 baht for international flights, he said.

The increase still needs approval from aviation authorities.

The new fees would apply at all airports operated by the AoT when approved.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/376177/b100-per-passenger-departure-tax-hike-still-needs-final-approval

Archived