Air Pollution Pattaya

drlove

Typhoon No.27 for this year raged, but bypassed Japan, last weekend.

Friends, knowing my association with Thailand, told me the reason is high sea temperature between the Philipines and Thailand.

Could be just that: high air salinity caused by the evaporations from the seas.

In my years of association with South East Asia, I feel that poor air quality for this region, is a given. Multiple causes, anything from dust off the Chinese deserts, to burning of land, to automotive pollution. I've never seen or heard of clean air here, not like there is in NZ and the Pacific islands.

This time the smog or mist or whatever it is hasn't dispersed in weeks. I've always seen a much greater horizontal visibility than this time.

I find think-to-mut's response very interesting. "high air salinity caused by the evaporations from the seas." I've never heard about that as related to an obscure horizon. This morning I was up and out early enough to see the sun coming up and to my surprise it wasn't red or orange. It was obscured but it was yellow. So it seems that we're not seeing it through dirty air, maybe a saline mist? Definitely not heavy smoke because that causes orange and red sunrise and sunset. If it's saline mist, it's actually good for you I think based on the fact that there are saline room humidifiers.

One other thing. I was watching the golf tournament from Kuala Lumpur this last weekend. The visibility and obsuration were exactly the same as here.

Anyway I'm pretty encouraged by the responses to this topic. Not thinking of leaving anymore.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long were you there? Did you exercise? Do people jog and such? Did you feel adverse effects?

There for three years. Transportation was by motor scooter, so sucked in my share.

Often, get home from work, take a shower and could not as the water smelled so strongly of

diesel oil! Eyes, red and watery.

Was two decades younger, so hopefully that helped!

I find think-to-mut's response very interesting. "high air salinity caused by the evaporations from the seas." I've never heard about that as related to an obscure horizon. This morning I was up and out early enough to see the sun coming up and to my surprise it wasn't red or orange. It was obscured but it was yellow. So it seems that we're not seeing it through dirty air, maybe a saline mist? Definitely not heavy smoke because that causes orange and red sunrise and sunset. If it's saline mist, it's actually good for you I think based on the fact that there are saline room humidifiers.

That could be it. There were 10 typhoons originating from SE Asia and moving towards Japan in 6 weeks. Caused by high sea temperature in the region, a metheorogical fact.

Another thing, I had to fight for with Pattaya haters on another board a few years back, were the beaches in Pattaya. While I think they are not very nice, my oponents claimed they were so polluted that not even seagulls exist there.

The reason there are no seagulls is simple: the seagulls need calcium (from the sand) to digest their food. Pattaya is pure silica (mud) and they simply can't survive there. Nothing to do with any pollution. That is how Thai mainland beaches are. Thai islands, a different story.

... This morning I was up and out early enough to see the sun coming up and to my surprise it wasn't red or orange. It was obscured but it was yellow.

Not sunrise but sunset. 5 years ago, Pattaya:

t3602013pattaya01.jpg

Sunset:

t3602013pattaya02.jpg

The capacity of the factories in Rayong and in the hills (where they churn almost 1 million vehicles a year) was there at that time. No significant growth that could be accused for air pollution.

My take: it's not air quality compromised by any industry. Just a natural thing from the sea.

The reason there are no seagulls is simple: the seagulls need calcium (from the sand) to digest their food. Pattaya is pure silica (mud)

Sorry TTM, I call bullshit on this.

Seagulls would get all the calcium they need from the skeletons of the fish and so on they eat. Secondly I've picked up numerous seashells from this beach and Jomtiem too, seashells are made from ? Calcium carbonate.

Pure silica is what we make glass from, not mud, which is mainly organic matter and or clay. A beach that was pure silica would be blindingly snow white.

What ever the reason for no seagulls, (probably been eaten ) it's not no calcium.

Sorry TTM, I call bullshit on this.

Quick you were to point your own bullshit gun. Now, like you live in a cartoon, it is more probable that there are no seagulls in Pattaya because they have been eaten than that they can't stand the terrain?

Nonsense, as if I said there are no snakes in New Zealand because people like you ate them, not because they can't stand the voilcanic terrain.

Hua Hin has no seagulls either, the same nature of the beach.

Quick you were to point your own bullshit gun. Now, like you live in a cartoon, it is more probable that there are no seagulls in Pattaya because they have been eaten than that they can't stand the terrain?

Nonsense, as if I said there are no snakes in New Zealand because people like you ate them, not because they can't stand the voilcanic terrain.

Hua Hin has no seagulls either, the same nature of the beach.

What ever - but it's not a lack of calcium in the beach.

I don't know where Bangpu is , but it's got seagulls some of the year http://www.pbase.com/vvnaret/seagull_in_thailand&page=all

Or this might explain it: "Thailand's location is in south east Asia with a seagull border with Burma, (or Myanmar) and a non seagull border with Laos. Far south in the country, near Phucket, is seagull border with Malaysia. It has a long coastline, which along the west of the country is seagull bordering on the Andaman sea."

1. Seagull

A relatively new fad among british school boys, whereby they masturbate furiously during recess, collect the jizz in their palms, find a younger unsuspecting boy and slap his face while shouting "SEAGULL!"

'Can you believe he got the seagull yesterday during recess?'

2. The seagull

While having sex on the beach quickly stick your penis in the sand then re-insert it into your partner and watch them flap around like a seagull.

'I gave Britney the seagull last night, shit was funny as hell!'

3. The seagull

The seagull is a maneuver for the "penis showing game" from the movie "Waiting" an uncircumcised guy takes both index fingers and middle fingers and stretches his foreskin open making it look like a seagull and taking his pinkies at the same time and holding his nuts up to make the wings.'He flashed the seagull at the new guy within the first hour.'

Seagull as served in a popular 'schoolboy' bar in Patters.

Archived