Amnesty Opponents To Rally Nationwide

Flashermac

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even less I think. Laos has a common border with China, then the dams (hydroelectric).

Is anyone seriously entertaing that idea of Isaan being an independent state?

No one is seriously entertaining it, But I have had it after 15 years here with people from Isaan.

Even less I think. Laos has a common border with China, then the dams (hydroelectric).

Is anyone seriously entertaing that idea of Isaan being an independent state?

Back in the 1970s, leftist students in Laos were demanding Issan be "reunited" with Laos. They got a very cold shoulder from Issan. As quite a few folks from Issan have told me, "We were Laos hundreds of years ago, but we are Thais now." I have heard even less interest in becoming independent. As it is, Issan has already had two PMs of Thailand - Sarit Thanarat and Chavalit Yongchaiyudh.

Uruphong protesters march Thursday

The Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand has announced it will lead a march of anti-government and anti-Thaksin protesters from Uruphong intersection to an unidentified location Thursday at 10am to continue their protest movement.

Uthai Yodmanee, the network’s leader, announced the plan in a press briefing late Wednesday afternoon.

Commenting on the elected senators who have vowed to reject the bill, Mr Uthai said his group will continue the movement because its purpose is to step up protests to evict the government and wipe out the so-called Thaksin regime.

Earlier, Mr Uthai had hinted that the demonstration could reach government offices and they could go to Government House if they attract a large enough crowd.

Some demonstrators of the network and the Dharma Army have moved to Phan Fa Bridge on Ratchadamnoen Avenue. About 500 members of the Dharma Army reached Phan Fa from Uruphong intersection on Tuesday.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/378500/uruphong-protesters-march-tomorrow

Back in the 1970s, leftist students in Laos were demanding Issan be "reunited" with Laos. They got a very cold shoulder from Issan. As quite a few folks from Issan have told me, "We were Laos hundreds of years ago, but we are Thais now." I have heard even less interest in becoming independent. As it is, Issan has already had two PMs of Thailand - Sarit Thanarat and Chavalit Yongchaiyudh.

My wife hates French, "They carved Laos out of Thailand". Long ago stopped mentioning Laos, a rant from her would follow. Heard the same from several grass-roots people in Isaan, something like "They (Laos) were cut from us by France".

The only knowledge I have gathered from that is: that could be where the term "Farang", from "France" has a bad connotation, with people who have never seen a foreigner.

Archived