How Come Sea Airports Dont Enforce The Return Ticket 'rule' ?

gobbledonk

My last post on this as you clearly are attempting to put your own ideas as fact even though you never worked a day in the job I spent 20+ years doing.

An airline does not 'fine' an employee. There are levels of discipline. If the employee has a clear work history with no prior infractions, there will likely be nothing done other than an informal talk. If an employee is on the last level of discipline, he/she may likely be fired. So in that sense, then yes, I guess there would be some financial punishment. Good day.......

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is what we are talking about: why are the "agents", staff of a commercial airline are so eager to police passengers.

Quite simple really - if immigration at the arrival end decides a passenger must be turned around, it is the airline's responsibility/obligation to do that. Hence the check in staff (airline employees) need to vet all passengers properly as it is their employer who will have to pick up the bill to fly home/where they came from.

Quite simple really - if immigration at the arrival end decides a passenger must be turned around, it is the airline's responsibility/obligation to do that. Hence the check in staff (airline employees) need to vet all passengers properly as it is their employer who will have to pick up the bill to fly home/where they came from.

Not only not that simple, not simple at all according to poster with 20 years experience in that business.

Airline will have to pick up the bill, but staff won't. According to him , staff are not financially punished.

What hapoens if ticket is purchased online with stollen credit card number, staff did not ask to see the cc, the owner cancelled transaction and got the refund. Then the bank takes the money back from the airline.

Would staff be personally responsible for that loss (by not requesting the passenger to present the purchasing credit card)?

That happens every day, all day.

Technically, the loss to the airline is same - does not matter if caused by immigration or stolen credit card number - the bum was in the seat for free + fees that paying passengers bear themselves.

Not only not that simple, not simple at all according to poster with 20 years experience in that business.

Airline will have to pick up the bill, but staff won't. According to him , staff are not financially punished.

What hapoens if ticket is purchased online with stollen credit card number, staff did not ask to see the cc, the owner cancelled transaction and got the refund. Then the bank takes the money back from the airline.

Would staff be personally responsible for that loss (by not requesting the passenger to present the purchasing credit card)?

That happens every day, all day.

Technically, the loss to the airline is same - does not matter if caused by immigration or stolen credit card number - the bum was in the seat for free + fees that paying passengers bear themselves.

Not my system, dude. I just worked with what was in place. You might want to put your energy into picking at the airlines or the immigration staff of every country in the world instead of picking at me. I'm just telling you what took place while I worked. If the facts don't fit your fantasy world, not my problem.

.... If the facts don't fit your fantasy world, not my problem.

What facts? Not gone further than whatever your workplace (how long ago was that?) was doing.

Other places, for example North Korea, may execute staff member on the spot and their ex-employee tell us how it works "where he worked". What fact is that?

As a very frequent flyer in the region, I am nearly always asked for proof of onward travel, I have to back up Ura Dick (no pun intended, I have no desire to back up on any dick) he is who he says he is, having known him very well in Bangkok and elsewhere, and did his job as described, as do between 2-4 check in clerks every week for me. Last week KL to Bangkok on Luftwaffa I was asked for onward ticket, showed them by visa, no issues. Canada to Thailand, same issue, Jakarta, Hanoi, Manilla, all places I have been in a few times last 4 weeks, same thing, and has been for a number of years,

So I think I know who's the dick!

As a very frequent flyer in the region, I am nearly always asked for proof of onward travel, I have to back up Ura Dick (no pun intended, I have no desire to back up on any dick) he is who he says he is, having known him very well in Bangkok and elsewhere, and did his job as described, as do between 2-4 check in clerks every week for me. Last week KL to Bangkok on Luftwaffa I was asked for onward ticket, showed them by visa, no issues. Canada to Thailand, same issue, Jakarta, Hanoi, Manilla, all places I have been in a few times last 4 weeks, same thing, and has been for a number of years,

So I think I know who's the dick!

I have never doubted who he is, in both senses.

I was expecting more competence from someone who had worked 20+ years in that job, see posts 18 & 19.

Where has it landed us after his "intervention"? Names calling and again, back to square one: you are always asked for proof of onward travel, neither me or my family ever. Always on 1 way tickets.

Japan has an archaic visa system: visa means "landing right", not "entry right". Officer at immigration counter stamps "entry right" and can turn anyone back, whatever visa they might have.

Frankly, I am surprised that nobody has ever asked me to show a proof of return ticket on neither Japanese or Thai side.

Archived