Penang Fun

radioman

As Cav says, Georgetown is great for food - especially Indian. There is some nightlife, though tame by Bangkok standards. A few nightclubs and such, plus hotels that are actually brothels and the "health clubs" in hotels which amount to the same thing. I usually stay on Leboh Chulia, which is in walking distance of most "cultural" things. A friend picked up a couple of waitresses in a restaurant for extra-curricular activities.

Fun little city for a few days. Buy a lot of inexpensive batik sarongs for your Thai friends, beautifully made (the sarongs, I mean). Sightseeing if you've a mind to. Maybe have a "companion" guide you. Take the funicular railway up the mountain, visit the snake temple ... :yikes:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Snake_Temple

Note: the 90-year-old railway has been "improved" recently and the cars are very modern. Not as much fun as it used to be. :(

<< A lot of people seem to have a very negative view of Penang. It is somewhere they visit to get their visa and get out again as fast as they can. They say it is dirty and unfriendly with no real attractions.

I have done this trip twice and have enjoyed it both times. I guess it is what you make of it. I like Indian food and Penang has this well covered. I also like Guinness, which is brewed in Malaysia and therefore widely available at a reasonable price. English is widely spoken and they have a much better range of English books than is available in Phuket. Oh, and the currency rate on the Malaysian Ringit is very easy to convert to baht, roughly you multiply by 10.

Along Penang Road, there are plenty of good eating-places where you can get a small meal like curry and bread for 3 RM. There is an excellent Indian restaurant on Penang Road opposite Chulia Street. Further down Penang Road are some nice western style pubs. This is also the naughty nightlife area with girls touting on the street. It might be a Muslim country but the oldest profession goes on. I am told there are also a lot of ladyboys around. >>

http://www.knowphuke...-run-Penang.htm

p.s. Muslims are a minority in Georgetown. It is largely Chinese and Indian.

One thing I immediately noticed when I took my friends (Chinese Malaysians) to see the Bangkok nightlife was that they weren't very interested in the gogo bars. I thought the sight of naked young ladies dancing just inches away would be new to them, but after about half an hour they asked to be excused and all went to an MP parlour to get laid. Ogling and groping obviously weren't their thing. Instead, tt was "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" and go home alone.

Remember that when discussing nightlife with Malaysians.

OK - I'm going to bite, without naming you gobble, it seems there are regular poster/s that ask questions, but don't like the answers or want to argue them.

Will you believe anything the new Malaysian boards tell you?

I think he's having a go at you, radioman ! ;)

FWIW, I dont believe anything anyone tells me. Except Nok, of course, but she hab big ploblem.

Next question ?

Archived