http://youtu.be/UZSH0RizajE

I remember reading a couple of years ago in the Thai news that karaoke bars around Chiang Mai were pulling a scam whereby Thai customers were forced to pay extortionate amounts after a couple of hours time on the premises with threats of violence for non-compliance.

This farang (French?) got caught with the same scam recently there. 47,000 Baht for 4 hours!

He says he just sat with the girls and had drinks and nothing 'special' occurred with the girls ie no 'extras'.

Some of the girls seem to have accompanied him to the police station to be sure to get their money.

• 1 year later...

Sometimes speaking a little Thai and being a pompous drunk does not really work in your favor... Don't try to speak Thai with the cops once you're past the very initial stage - and even then, use caution... Three girls, all night karaoke place, start at two finish at six, figure a lot - lot - of drinks at all-night karaoke prices... any estimates on the appropriate bill? I'm gonna give him a 10,000 penalty for showing up in those cuffs and collar - for what? Nobody gives a damn about 'sapesshuulll"... just be quiet and propose a payment to finish the thing. Four hours?

YimSiam

Don't try to speak Thai with the cops once you're past the very initial stage - and even then, use caution...

Its very rare to find a Thai cop that speaks English as well as I do Thai so I do not understand what you mean.

Just curious .. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Well... it's virtually impossible to find a Chinese cop that speaks English, but would you argue your case in Chinese if you didn't speak it? I think speaking Thai poorly once you're at the stage where everyone has been taking to the station is not likely to be helpful, you'll just seem like you're arrogantly slaughtering the language and expecting to be let go because you're such a brilliant farang. Yes, if you CAN speak, do - but if you can't, don't, and you'll get Tourist Police or a translator - even if the translator's English is crap, no better than your Thai, at least you don't sound like an ass when it hits the ears of the deciding authority. Use your Thai initially, use it to show that you are polite and have some understanding, but then get someone who can speak a little English to help you out.

But my Thai is poor - perhaps those with better understanding can give their perspective.

Me thinks, better to stick with English and do not let on that you know any Thai! If you can

understand Thai then you have an advantage in that you will know what they are talking about when

they think you do not understand Thai!!!

For sure, have the name of a competent Thai lawyer handy.

• Like 1

The entire when to speak Thai question is tricky.

I think Cav's point is well taken.

If I am with poo yai and they prefer English (for face or whatever)

I go with English-

If its a highly technical subject-well sometimes its tough-

If regular life I just speak Thai

In"entertainment places" I sometimes like to keep my mouth shut and listen to the girls talking shit about the "farang"

Being called a dog or whatever is enlightening :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

If I am away from LOS for a few months I always worry bout my Thai but somehow a switch just gets turned

and out it pours- but can always learn more...