After Xp Update Usb Sim Modem Will Not Start

gawguy

Windows updates cause more damn problems! I have a secondary computer that runs XP. It was working fine until I ran the update that was being pushed at me. It installed 30 updates because I haven't used it for awhile. The USB Internet SIM modem is my connection and it was working fine. After the update the modem software (ZTE Join Air) begins startup for a few seconds and then shuts down.

I uninstalled the software / drivers and re-installed, did not help.

Why? WTF. What to do?

GG

I installed XP on my present PC w/ SP3 and have *** never *** installed any of the Windows updates...PC working OK :dunno:

In the past I have had many problems with Windows updates, so I stopped doing them!

They push updates as "critical security update" which makes it sound like you won't be safe without them. Your approach is really interesting. Also you don't have to be concerned that MS stops supporting xp in April 2014.

Maybe I'll just restore an old image of the c: drive.

Thanks..GG

•  

A taste of the horrible things to come for Windows XP

http://news.yahoo.com/taste-horrible-things-come-windows-xp-195030672.html

Another M$ scare tactic...give them $$$ and go to the newer OS...

Windows XP is now more than 12 years old but according to data from Net Applications, it is still used on more than 31% of desktop and laptop computers around the world. Those tens of millions of PC users could be in for a very rude awakening next year once Microsoft cuts off support for the aged operating system. Microsoft itself even warned users of the imminent tsunami of viruses and other malware that will inevitably wash over XP stragglers once it stops issuing updates and fixes for the OS. Now, a recently discovered critical zero-day flaw has been acknowledged in a Microsoft support document that could cause serious problems for XP users.

“The vulnerability is an elevation of privilege vulnerability,†Microsoft said in a recent security advisory. “An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could run arbitrary code in kernel mode. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full administrative rights.â€

Microsoft confirmed that it is working on a fix for the flaw, but let this serve as a warning — after April 8th next year, critical flaws like this one (and worse) will go unfixed, thus leaving gaping holes in Windows XP that are just begging for malware to exploit them.

Archived