Finally Have To Get A Smartphone

gawguy

I see that I can be anonymous on a smartphone in TLand, in other words I don't have to subscribe to a service. I need backup access to internet and Skype in case I have a problem with my Windows 7 laptop. I will buy a phone a Tukcom in Pattaya. I would want to start with a 2nd hand phone as cheap as possible. This is just a backup. I already have a dumb phone.

Please suggest a phone that will work for me.

And give me any other opinions about buying a phone as backup. There are a lot of reasons I haven't wante a smart phone. I have an ipod touch in USA but I don't like trying to write with it.

One other question: I assume I will be able to download Skype and other free programs exactly as I do now, yes or no?

Also what phone network you suggest for the area around Tukcom?

Thanks..GG

I don't need video caIling. I don't want GPS or any of the social network bulls--t. I was looking around Tukcom for awhile today. What a headache. It would be nice to have a larger screen. And a tablet would be best but the prices!

I don't want to spend more than about 3,000B and I didn't see tablets for that.

And I couldn't identify used phones. I asked once and was told "No have." I know they are out there somewhere cause Thai people buy them. Maybe Tukcom is the wrong place.

(BTW: I've had an iPod Touch 3g in USA for 3 years. I use it all the time but only for podcasts. I used to use it online and I had a few apps... It's great, but I don't like to type on it. I don't trust the security either and it's way too easy to lose. And I don't want to lock/unlock it every time I turn it on.)

Thanks..GG

I looked for Atrix 2 at Tukcom and was told no one sells Motorola, go to BKK. Tukcom is 50+ vendors selling about 10 phones.

What about a copy? I saw a Samsung Note Mini 3 for 1,500. I went over to the tent market across the street and saw one that looked about the same from the front - 1,000.

I'm thinking I'll catch hell for even asking.

GG

Yes.. I think that's the one. It has a large screen and 2 SIMs. Since it's a copy and you say "Beware" I guess the pitfalls would be that some functions wouldn't work right and that it might quit altogether. That is the kind of thing you'r talking about? The vendor said "Original 10,000B."

Oh well... I'm going home in two weeks. I'll be back in April and I'll look for a 2nd hand phone at that time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see them at Tukcom, which seems to be "the place" for rich facebook-loving Russians, Indians and farangs to plunk down whatever on their mobile device infatuton.

Aside from that: I sat next to someone making video of bicyclists doing tricks at the beach. It was night time, low light and he was getting a nice bright image on a large-screen Sony phone. Impressive.

Thanks for all the input.

GG

Archived