Bygone Era Of Bars Gone By

Flashermac

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We tried to buy things from the bar at the last day party, which had a huge turnout. At first his wife said we could, but then she said someone had already bought it all and we couldn't! Her story kept changing and she pissed of a lot of folks. Someone must have got it, but no one knows who. I thought I'd at least get something. :(

Give me Tony Poe and Corinthian can have Gator. :)

p.s. Were you ever in Lucy's Tiger Den? Tiger had fantastic photos on the walls. I heard he took them to the Philippines with him and they later were all destroyed. :banghead:

<< In the dimly lighted Lucy's, photos of hundreds of men and women--some in uniform--are spread on the dark walls; going with Rydberg. Other memories, banners and bar stools, will go on sale at an auction and farewell party after Thanksgiving, he said.

Behind a hostess lounging at the bar, stickers shout "Vietnam Vets Are Not Fonda Jane" and "American Legion Member and Proud of It." Pictures of tigers compete for wall space with a large Confederate battle flag.

It's a friendly place, a home ground for a community of men and women far from home or without a real home.

The old slogans are on the wall, but Lucy's has always been non-political the way soldiers are non-political. This has been the refuge of people who had to do the work, not make the speeches. And like the slogans, Lucy's seems part of another, rapidly passing era. >>

http://articles.lati...8_1_oil-workers

Flasher, did you read Stick's column six or so weeks ago when he took a trip down memory lane in Patpong ? I know he has his share of critics here, but it was definitely one of his better columns. If I have one regret in Thailand, its that I didnt see Patpong in it's heyday, but knowing how rose-colored glasses kick in over the years perhaps that's best kept as a fantasy along with the 'glory days' of the Grace, Thermae and WS. Most of you guys lived through at least one of the above, but time waits for no man. Seize the day, people.

I only remember a handful of bars on Patpong in 1973 or so. The GI strip was on Phetburi (bars and MPs), with a smaller one at Saphan Kwai. There were also a few bars behind the Thai Yonnok Coffee Shop at at Gaysorn Plaza, just north of that. The nightlife was quite small in the '70s, no Nana yet and Cowboy just starting. Nobody really knew about Bangkok except the GIs stationed here, airline personnel and randy Peace Corps vols. Strict closing enforcement at 1pm, and the action shifted to the freelancer Troica - The Grace, Thai Yonnok and Thermae coffee shops. That would all be considered before the "glory days", but I'd say it was the most fun of all back then. It was sort of like a secret that tourists didn't even know about. :)

"While I sat at home watching Magnum PI, those in the know were flocking to Patpong where some bars were jammed with more than 200 dancers!" BS! At that rate there weren't enough dancers to go around. And Superstar was good for a while, but nowhere near the best in the country. I'm suspicious of the DEA agents hiding there too. I liked the Safari, which once upon a time had the best dancers in Bangkok. Noi, the BG who played a BG in "The Deer Hunter" used to dance there. I liked to be there at closing time, when all the dancers would rush to the back and strip naked to change into their "civilian clothes". :)

Some of the bars Stick mentions don't even ring a bell. The ones that really mattered he doesn't even mention. :(

p.s. Here's the first Bangkok bar to make a success of gogo dancers ...

http://www.bangkokeyes.com/anton.html

And more oldies ... reading this one really brought back some fond memories. :worship:

http://www.bangkokey.../2012jul01.html

Step by step...first he can check with the US military as to their use of the silver gel, which has FDA approval. Same company

makes the silver water...

I've never seen TheCorinthian in the Texas Lone Staar, or at least I do not remember him ever there, so I wonder if he knew Gator? he is too young to have seen Tony Poe in there...

Archived