British surgeon Simon Bramhall suspended for his 'branding initials on liver'

lcbWcj1.jpg

Transplant surgeon Mr Simon Bramhall is accused of branding a patient's liver with his initials.

A BRITISH surgeon has been suspended over allegations he "branded'' his initials onto a patient's liver, media reported on Tuesday.

Simon Bramhall faces an investigation after a colleague discovered the initials "SB'' on the organ during a follow-up operation at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, central England, newspapers said.

The 48-year-old consultant has held his position at the hospital for over a decade, sparking fears the surgeon may have similarly branded hundreds of other transplant, reports UK paper Metro.

A source said: "It is quite astonishing to think someone may have done this, especially someone as experienced at Mr Bramhall.

"I am hoping this is just a mistake, I don’t know what would possess someone to do that to another human being.

"I’m just a little shocked that something like this may have happened right under everyone’s noses.

"It could have happened hundreds of times, who knows? It was just luck that this incident was brought to light."

The hospital's managing trust said in a statement: "Following an allegation of misconduct, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust has suspended a surgeon while an internal investigation is completed.''

The Daily Mail newspaper said Bramhall used non-toxic argon gas to sear his initials onto the liver.

When initially approached Mr Bramhall, from Redditch, Worcestershire, denied he was suspended.

http://www.news.com....d-1226789587164 (24/12/13)

British surgeon Simon Bramhall suspended for his 'branding initials on liver'

lcbWcj1.jpg

Transplant surgeon Mr Simon Bramhall is accused of branding a patient's liver with his initials.

A BRITISH surgeon has been suspended over allegations he "branded'' his initials onto a patient's liver, media reported on Tuesday.

Simon Bramhall faces an investigation after a colleague discovered the initials "SB'' on the organ during a follow-up operation at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, central England, newspapers said.

The 48-year-old consultant has held his position at the hospital for over a decade, sparking fears the surgeon may have similarly branded hundreds of other transplant, reports UK paper Metro.

A source said: "It is quite astonishing to think someone may have done this, especially someone as experienced at Mr Bramhall.

"I am hoping this is just a mistake, I don’t know what would possess someone to do that to another human being.

"I’m just a little shocked that something like this may have happened right under everyone’s noses.

"It could have happened hundreds of times, who knows? It was just luck that this incident was brought to light."

The hospital's managing trust said in a statement: "Following an allegation of misconduct, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust has suspended a surgeon while an internal investigation is completed.''

The Daily Mail newspaper said Bramhall used non-toxic argon gas to sear his initials onto the liver.

When initially approached Mr Bramhall, from Redditch, Worcestershire, denied he was suspended.

http://www.news.com....d-1226789587164 (24/12/13)

i've heard similar stories like this over the 30 odd years i spent working in the NHS.

all rumour of course,but i know a friend of mine left some kind of memento on certain patients,i watched her do it once.

nothing nasty/unpleasant/disfiguring or disgusting of course,in fact nothing to be seen to the naked eye.

but would have caused much anguish to the patient i imagine if they had known.

This story seemed to split readers. For me, it shows a total lack of respect for the patient, the original organ donor and their family. Wonder how many patients he's done this to already? Classic example of an arrogant doctor with a God complex and a clear demonstration of the need to check the empathetic capacity of applicants for medical college. The sad thing is that a liver transplant operation involves a large team in the operating theatre who would have been aware of this surgeon "showing off" and yet none spoke out. Good that a colleague finally had the courage to bring the matter to light, although I've heard sadly it's usually career suicide to do so and the whistle blower may well end up having to move hospital.

Can't see how this surgeon can work again, in this field at least, even with supervision. Every patient Googling him before a transplant will turn up this story.

Archived