Was Nye 2013 A Drunken Orgy In Los ?

gobbledonk

I'd have to say it was the quietest NYE I've ever witnessed in Oz, and that seems to be the consensus from the 5 million cops who were rostered on to sort the drunks around the country. Given that I have no idea how heavily the protests have impacted tourist numbers - or the general mood in the streets - I wondered if the rest of the board had a wilder time of it. Anyone ?

(I know the Lunar New Year is a much bigger deal in Asia, but I recall the odd reveller on the streets on my last NYE in LOS back in 2009. Post-midnight, I'm afraid its a bit of a blur)

Dunno - my NY resolution is to stop drinking before the footpath starts headbutting me. Weird how so many young guys have been killed in the last few years in Sydney after being hit and going to the canvas - I swear there was a period in the 80s were I spent most Friday and Saturday nights examining the grooves in various footpaths around Sydney. I did get a fright, briefly, when I read that Bon Scott drowned in his own vomit, but after 9 or 10 beers none of that mattered - wouldnt get away with it at ~55.

WF, surely even family men look forward to Chinese NY ? All that color, chaos, fireworks and kids expecting you to hand them envelopes filled with cash. Er - how is that different to Soi 4 on NYE ? ;)

Chinese-Red-Envelopes.jpg

I'm going to place 20 x 20-baht notes in a couple of these for my regulars when I return to BKK - just enough to give the illusion that I'm Daddy Warbucks instead of Cheap Charlie. I guarantee their eyes will light up the instant they see the envelopes - much as they do when I hand out stuffed koalas, wombats (!) and kangaroos, but the envelopes are a lot easier to get hold of in Thailand. Isaan Thais may not be Christian or Confucian or even ethnic Chinese, but they are always up for a party IME - particularly a party that involves someone handing out gifts ;)

I spent NYE in a temple, the monks alternating between chanting and entertaining the masses with (clean) humour. I lasted until 3 am - MLG and her girlfriend stayed until 7am. The most 'different' NYE I ever had. Glad I did it.

Archived