Herring (Haring) In Thailand

NongSung

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, an update. I have contacted Pim of dutchfishbypim and asked if he knew how to get kroketten & frikandellen.

To my surprise he had them in stock! Not imported but they are coming from Dutch Snacks Chiang Mai.

He buys & resells their kroketten & frikandellen en Dutch Snacks sell his herring!

So last Saturday my package arrived with (again) haring, kroketten & frikandellen.

The frikandellen are pretty good, would give them an 8+, the kroketten are ok but (for me) nothing out of the ordinary.

So if you urgently need a dutch-snack-fix, I would say 'contact him'.

Regards,

Nongsung

Hi,

If in Bangkok though, just visit the Green Parrot. They have frikandellen, kroketten, bitterballen and kaas shouffles.

First week of Jan they even had smoked eel !!! Was expensive, but so worth it :)

Sanuk!

Oh yeah, I would certainly prefer that but I have to travel over 600km to get there so that is once-in-a-while...

So at home I would like to have my fridge stocked with things I can't get so easy...

Were you around when Dolf Riks had his restaurant in Pattaya? That was a fine restaurant.

"One of, if not the last of the "Old Pattayans", Dolf Riks gave up the struggle last Thursday and shook off this mortal coil.

In his last years he had been plagued by a variety of age related illnesses, some no doubt a legacy of his arduous childhood, much of it spent in Japanese prisoner of war camps in Indonesia. He had nevertheless maintained his humorous, if sometimes irascible, approach to life that made him such an internationally popular raconteur.

Dolf first came to Pattaya 30 years ago during the Vietnam war, travelling by truck on what he described as a "hazardous trip" from Paknam. Dolf’s abiding passion, right to the end, was food and its preparation. So it was not surprising that he had been chosen by another early Pattayan character, Charlie Cattanach, to manage his restaurant Charlie’s Hideaway, one of the first in town. His inexperience in the business made the venture less than profitable, and, happily as it turned out, there came an amicable parting of ways. Having given up a house in Bangkok and with nothing else to do, but still forever tied to Pattaya, as with many others then and since, he rented another old beach restaurant which became the first "Dolf Rik’s Restaurant"—which, with Dolf’s own inimical style imprinted, became an instant success."

http://www.pattayamail.com/304/continue.htm

Archived