Hua Hin - Good Choice?

pe7e

To all the experts on here, is Hua Hin a good choice to spend a few months? Pattaya is getting a bit 'too OTT' if you know what I mean, I want somewhere a bit more peaceful with far less Russians, Arab types and drunken yobs in football shirts. On the other hand, I don't want to live in a monastery either so some semblance of a nightlife scene is required, is this the place to fit my requirements? What are the costs like, i.e. barfines ST/LT rates, Beer and JD/Coke prices, not forgetting the likely cost of a decent, western style, budget apartment rental near the nightlife? I'm not looking for a room at the Ritz, but don't want a cockroach infested dump either, air con and Wi-Fi are a must.

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

HH is alright. Just remember HM has the palace there so while things may be available, it is not in your face.

Go to the website huahinafterdark<dot>com. They are a pretty reasonable lot over there, just ask nicely and you will get an answer.

Just FYI, have been a member of the website since 2002.

If you are looking for a kicked back lifestyle for a few months, a discrete not in your face nightlife scene, good Italian and Thai cuisine and a small town to meet people then HH will be just right for you.

We have a saying in Thailand, "Where do Pattaya Bar Girls Go when they retire?" the Answer is Hua Hin

aha old experienced gals ;)

but while I'd say HHi is a fair competitor to pattaya for the domestic & international tourist dollar it really is NOthing much in the way of bar girls!

Surely cha am next door is even smaller say only some 10 bars on a row of shop houses just off the beach, but a better alternative may then be one of the smaller beaches at either samui or phuket?

We have a saying in Thailand, "Where do Pattaya Bar Girls Go when they retire?" the Answer is Hua Hin

Rather an ominous comment if you don't mind me saying Mr Mekong, are they really that bad? do I need to keep on looking?

As with any place (even in Pattaya) the talent varies. I'm sure you'll find something to suit you if you look hard enough.

HH attracts a lot of 'tang chaat' who have retired there or have at least a retirement home. Lots of Skandis and other Europeans with some Poms and Yanks so you won't be short of elbow-bending company. JWs has a regular quiz night, there's enough variety in food tastes that you won't miss out on any cuisine and it's developed enough so you won't have to survive on som tam and gai yang on some isolated farm in Esarn (which incidentally, is where most of the retired gals go. I think Mr Mekong means the gals in HH are only in semi-retirement mode) :)

Phuket and Samui are similar to Pattaya these days.

Give HH a go, if you get bored Pattaya is only a bus trip away...

Hi VK,

I'm sure there must be a selection of pretty gals in HH, they are everywhere else I've been in Thailand. I think Mekong was having a bit of fun with his comment,I too, wasn't being too serious with my reply either :-) Thanks for the heads up on the Hua Hin forum, I signed up this afternoon and will be having a good read over the next week or two. I'd considered Phuket, but from what I hear it's a bit over priced IMO, I've got a reasonable retirement budget but don't intend to end up like some of the financial basket cases you see in Pattaya these days. I've also spent a few weeks on a farm in Mukdahan many years ago, it was 'interesting' to say the least, but I've no desire to lead that sort impoverished lifestyle in the boondocks either. Thanks for the reply's to date, keep them coming.

pe7e

I am not saying that HH is full of 60 year old hags but don't expect to find an 18 - 21 year old stunner there either as can be found in Pattaya.

I would not say unattractive but average looking women some carrying a few extra KG and aged about 30 upwards.

Majority have worked in Pattaya in the past and move on to Hua Hin since the previously mentioned 18-21 year olds are taking most of their business in Pattaya so onto HH for a more laid back tranquil life hence the reason for my comment

Going to HH twice a year, I would say its a definitive yes on all your questions.

Reasonal lodging is possible 800-1200 Bt a day or even 7000-12000 Bt per month, higher ranges also available......

Nightlife is fun and laidback, located around the Hilton and a set of bars on soi 80, all types of gals available.

Food is everywhere from 25 Bt streetfood to high-end places, recommendations per PM.

BB

Archived