Vietnam Visa

scoobydoo

Apply online or at Vietnamese Embassy (48 hours wait) for a Letter of approval.

Land in Hanoi or HCMC fill in form at Visa on Arrival Counter wait for 30 Mins and get Passport with Visa Stamp in it

Ensure to have Visa Fee in $US, Cant remember the exact fees but as my memory serves me right it was $95 for a 3 month multiple for my initial Visa before I got Work Permit and Temporary Residence

2 X Passport Photo's

IF you are applying in UK or Thailand (Nam Embassy is across road from US on Wireless South of Ploenchit) then just as easy to get visa there takes the same time as picking up a Letter of Approval but puts head of the Queue at immigration, depends how local you are to a Nam embassy which is best.

Visa on Arrival only works at Hanoi and HCMC Airports, if considering land travel you need a Visa in advance.

The embassy on Wireless used to be Saigon's. It was completely open with a well tended garden out front. People would wave at you as you went past. After Hanoi finally overran the South and the Thais let them have the embassy, Hanoi turned the compound into a fortress! High walls with where you couldn't even see the embassy buildings anymore. This was back when embassies were almost always completely open and welcoming, so Hanoi's embassy really stuck out. I wonder if the old farts running Vietnam have got over their bunker mentality yet.

The wait at HCMC Airport this week for visa on arrival has, at certain times at least, been quite long. One friend waited an hour and a half so I guess his flight arrived at the same time as others. That makes one consider the embassy option. If money is tight, a visa online actually works out a bit cheaper.

Whilst I don't know if the Laos and the UK or other Vietnam embassies have the same procedure, in the Lao one, I took ~$30, a couple of passport photos and filled in some forms, 10 minute wait, then 30 day visa stuck in the passport. Easy.

Takes longer in Bangkok and more expensive.

Don't think that you can get same day as seem to remember someone trying as they needed their passport at noon the day after and getting nowhere.

If you can wait 4 days between submitting and collecting then it is cheaper.

Think the next day option was 2700 baht (single entry, thirty days) when I got it in December. Arrived at the embassy about 9:30, filled out the form with one picture and paid the money. Should be ready for collection the next day at 10:00. Think I arrived about 10:30 and had it by 11:00 as there was a queue to pick up.

• 1 month later...

Archived