Thieves In Laos

Coss

Assembled thoughts on my arriving home on Boxing day.

I went to Nong Khai for Xmas day and thieves took my motorbike, computer, iPad, and hard drives in my absence. So I'll be operating from my iPhone for a while. Lucky I took the car I guess.

All photos etc gone. They took the back ups too, but they missed the back up to the computer so all is not lost. Never mind - time to start again - again

An update - Family gets involved - my iPad has the 'find my iPhone' feature. I spot it at 7:01 pm it's about 4km away! So no Police, it's the village head and 2 blokes with rifles and bayonets, 1 bloke with a Uzi like thing. To another village office and eventually we have 12 blokes, six of whom are armed. The iPad signal is accurate to about 5 properties including a block of flats that houses the local lout population, well known to the 2nd village head. No iPad was found. But MLG recognized the face of one dude nearby who is a visitor of my scuzzy neighbours. Now the plan is to visit that house today with the equivalent of a warrant. I don't hold out much hope. But as it's only possessions and I do have a back up of my applications and OS, I'm heading forward. But losing about $9,000 of stuff, all my photos and movies etc is a blow. MLG cried for an hour and still gets teary when we talk about it.

Bit of Dad's Army really. Now we're talking to the local 'Don' who's sweet on MLG's friend :). Not expecting anything though. Lining up a new laptop - getting over the shitty feelings.

Latest - the local village head has news - they caught a burglar, one, the other one got away. MLG seems to think that this is 'My' burglar rather than some random thief. I am not so sure. But then they do keep a very close eye on people round here, so they may be right. Bit like finding a paedophile in a Western suburb, everyone is sure he's the one...

I was given to understand that I should donate a box of beer and 400,000 kip to the local village militia, which of course I did. They continue to progress the matter.

Again, I have no hopes of recovery, but I've got me new laptop and it's onwards and upwards...

A few years back, working near Beijing, China...one of our engineers had their computer stolen from their locked

hotel room.

A complaint was made to the hotel manager, who brother happened to be a police officer.

A few days later, the manager from the hotel across the street came forward and said he had "found" the computer

but would not return it unless he got a reward.

Our project manager went nuclear and firmly said "no" and "fuck off", almost to the point of beating the crap

out of this manager.

The police had a "chat" with this manager and the computer was returned and no reward was given.

Of course, this must be wrong as there is no crime in China 55555555555555555555555

Assembled thoughts on my arriving home on Boxing day.

I went to Nong Khai for Xmas day and thieves took my motorbike, computer, iPad, and hard drives in my absence. So I'll be operating from my iPhone for a while. Lucky I took the car I guess.

All photos etc gone. They took the back ups too, but they missed the back up to the computer so all is not lost. Never mind - time to start again - again

An update - Family gets involved - my iPad has the 'find my iPhone' feature. I spot it at 7:01 pm it's about 4km away! So no Police, it's the village head and 2 blokes with rifles and bayonets, 1 bloke with a Uzi like thing. To another village office and eventually we have 12 blokes, six of whom are armed. The iPad signal is accurate to about 5 properties including a block of flats that houses the local lout population, well known to the 2nd village head. No iPad was found. But MLG recognized the face of one dude nearby who is a visitor of my scuzzy neighbours. Now the plan is to visit that house today with the equivalent of a warrant. I don't hold out much hope. But as it's only possessions and I do have a back up of my applications and OS, I'm heading forward. But losing about $9,000 of stuff, all my photos and movies etc is a blow. MLG cried for an hour and still gets teary when we talk about it.

Bit of Dad's Army really. Now we're talking to the local 'Don' who's sweet on MLG's friend :). Not expecting anything though. Lining up a new laptop - getting over the shitty feelings.

Latest - the local village head has news - they caught a burglar, one, the other one got away. MLG seems to think that this is 'My' burglar rather than some random thief. I am not so sure. But then they do keep a very close eye on people round here, so they may be right. Bit like finding a paedophile in a Western suburb, everyone is sure he's the one...

I was given to understand that I should donate a box of beer and 400,000 kip to the local village militia, which of course I did. They continue to progress the matter.

Again, I have no hopes of recovery, but I've got me new laptop and it's onwards and upwards...

For beer and 400,000 they may well find the guy. Or, a guy. Might even share photos of the execution, who knows! One of the wonders of working in non-transparent contexts, you never really know how things worked out, penalty-wise, or why.

Archived