Here We Go ... The Shutdown Thread

Flashermac

Takky biggest mistake in his greed was going after money that had long been flowing into other pockets. I am not talking about little companies like yours either. Think more like the PTT and oganisations of that size! The Dems have always had enough sense not to rattle the cages of the big boys.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We deal with large companies, such as XYZ and they have a "set of rules".

Compare the corruption in the USA to that in Thailand...the USA is better organized, IMO.

USA corruption; lobbyists, campaign contributions, gov contracts, etc...and all "legal"!

Thailand has a ways to go to catch up....

It would be astonishing if this protest could put a dent in the corruption. I hope I live to see the day!

"The question stands: why didn't Abhist do something about the corruption? or Suthep?"

You are correct and there in lies "part" of the hypocrisy of the current protesters.

Flasher is right I am on cordial grounds with some "insert companyname" old guard majors and Thaksin was just too greedy he ran riight over these old Chinese Thai businessmen-One cannot do that.

Ermmm if you look at the world corruption index you will see that Thailand moved in th epositive direction in the 2 years Abhisit and Suthep were in power!!! All the other years, under Thaksin related govs, Thailand has been tumbling down. How can Abhisit do anything if he has barely been in power in the past 13 years. Sorry but that is gross ignorance on your part.

How many decades was Suthep around for?

Abhist may have had the his number go down on the corruption but that is very misleading since under his leadership

they canceled many, many gov projects. I know as our company got projects canceled after the anni had been paid!

The Thai gov said they, "...had no money."

OK, where did the money go? it was there when they took tenders for the project....ohhhh, new gov people in power and

suddenly the money disappears...send up the bullshit :redflag:

I guess it would be better said that instead of the corruption issue-which is you are correct a long job-

The Dems did not appear from my to knowledge address the needs of the greater majority of the voting populace.Ie the farmers etc.

No surprise there

Now now don't be calling people ignorant its just a dialogue.

:topic:

I worked on a project and the project manager was a very intelligent man from Mississippi and he spoke with a southern accent.

Now comes along this New York software engineer and he was chatting with all of us and he made the comment...

People from the south are less intelligent because speak slower.

Ouch! Our Mississippi man turned the brightest red you can imagine, but very smoothly walked away! True story!!

Of course we all had a good giggle about this...some months later...

PDRC must 'face up to being a minority'

THE ANTI-GOVERNMENT People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) should be prepared for a longer and more protracted fight than it imagined - but its supporters should be willing to endure, renowned scholar Thirayuth Boonmee said yesterday.

Thirayuth acknowledged that |the PDRC consists of a minority in Thai society, mostly from the Bangkok-based middle classes and people from the South. But he argues that the those who voted for the Yingluck Shinawatra administration have forfeited their rights by accepting a corrupt and dictatorial government, which would have to be removed through a "people's revolution".

Asked by The Nation what he would do if the "revolution" succeeded and pro-government red shirts in turn staged a huge demonstration to oust the new regime installed by PDRC, Thirayuth said he would beg the red shirts not to do so.

"I would apologise. I would prostrate and apologise to them and tell them that Yingluck and her older brother [ousted and fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra] are really abusive and corrupt, though they were elected."

Thirayuth said civil war was still a possibility although he believed Thais were not that violent. "I hope it won't happen."

He urged the PDRC to recruit more grassroots people to join their struggle, adding that elites tended to be selfish fence-sitters and would only come out when the conflict was over.

"I admit that we're not the majority voice, that we are not the voice of the whole nation. But no revolution is ever carried out by the majority," said Thirayuth.

The scholar who himself came from a humble background also acknowledged a class dimension in the current crisis but played it down as a minor factor.

"I admit there exists discrepancies among the various classes. This is a sensitive issue, but we shouldn't use it to create a discourse that city-dwellers look down on provincial folks."

Thirayuth didn't specify how long the struggle would continue, but said perhaps PDRC leaders should also think about taking a break for themselves and their supporters and resume the fight later after the Bangkok "shutdown", since it has so far failed to remove the caretaker Yingluck administration from power.

Thirayuth, who held a press conference at the Thai Journalists Association, said the chance of military intervention is slimmer this time as even some members of the PDRC made it clear they would not go home if there was a military coup. He said the chance of His Majesty the King intervening to end the crisis was also very slim due to His Majesty's advanced age, adding that it would be best to leave the Palace out of the feud.

http://www.nationmul...y-30224411.html

(Tirayuth was a student leader in the 1973 protests against the "Gang of Three." He fled to the jungle and joined the communists after the military crackdown following the 1976 Thammasat Massacre. When the government offered amnesty a few years later, he surrendered and went to study in the USA.)

Whistlers: The Breathing Crowds

I have been watching the crowds and attempting to figure out their "breathing" secrets, and why these crowds are so difficult to estimate.

For starters, I have observed four categories of Whistler crowds:

1) Marches

2) Flashes

3) Static

4) Continuous

The marches are led by General Suthep. He is not really a general but he has raised an Army that he takes on marches around Bangkok. Anyway, the marches start off big and grow from there. They are difficult to estimate because as the processions march around Bangkok, huge numbers of people join within their on areas but then stay put and do not follow. This means most of the Whistlers who join are only there for maybe thirty minutes until the parade passes. But make no doubt: they are Whistlers, too.

2) Flash crowds. These happen when a large number of people seemly randomly decide to go somewhere, like Yingluck's house, for a short demonstration, and then they vanish. There are many flash crowds.

3) Static -- an example would be 22 December wherein probably far over a million people turned out at 15 separate venues. There also were flash crowds that day, and processions, so all three types were happening and it was impossible to get a handle on. On 22 December, many people stayed only for a few hours, to be replaced by others. I estimate there were 3-4 "shift changes" that day. In other words, 3-4 DIFFERENT crowds with only a minority staying the whole time. Those crowds were "breathing."

4) Continuous. For about two months now, there have been continuous crowds with people literally camping at the venues, such as Democracy Monument. But these crowds breathe all day long as people come for a few hours and then go. Currently there are seven massive venues. The crowds at the venues have more than one respiration rate. There is the daily pattern of life with people going and coming, and there is a longer wavelength pattern as some people come for only a few days, but they have a larger plan that they will be replaced by friends, who later will be replaced by other friends. And so one large group of friends takes "shifts" that might last for days, and this is separate from the daily "breathing" pattern.

My apologies if this rambled but I am trying to understand how these crowds -- they are more like giant organisms -- are breathing and behaving. Posting this might spark some insight from other observers so that we can all work on figuring this out.

Michael Yon

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151913699140665

Archived