Thai-Indian Senior Businessman To Be Deported For Joining Rally

Flashermac

post-98-0-53731100-1391512040_thumb.jpg

A Thai-Indian business tycoon, Sathit Segal, a core member of the anti-government protests, is to be deported for defying the state of emergency, a spokeswoman for the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) said Tuesday.

The centre already ordered the Immigration Department and police to commence the procedures to deport Sathit.

Sathit, an ethnic Indian, has publicly and openly criticised the Yingluck government on a People's Democratic Reform Committee stage. The chairman of the Thai-Indian business association, he led protesters in Bangkok's business district.

On January 22, The caretaker government put Bangkok and part of its suburbs under a state of emergency that is to run two months. Earlier reports said Sathit and four others non-Thai citizens faced deportation due to their active roles in the protests led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban.

http://www.nationmul...--30226025.html

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Satish Segal must have been here for 40 years or more and is a permanent resident. I know he was already a big name 25 years ago, when I met him once at a dinner. Guess which government now has the entire Thai-Indian community against it.

p.s. If I were a betting man, I'd put all my money on this never happening.

I am surprised to see him playing such a public role, but I'm sure he has reasons to believe it is safe for him to do so. He is known as a very shrewd businessman. He doesn't do anything without thinking carefully about the possible results. He has too much at stake to risk it all.

I personally find it appalling that foreigners whom have lived here so long as he has, or me myself has for that matter. People whom care about the country they life in have to worry about getting deported when they join demonstrations and are politically active. In the West everyone has this right. Whether you are foreign or not.

Also wasnt Robert Amsterdam on stage for the red shirts on many occasions?

Archived