Thailand: Failure Of Rice Pledging Scheme Leaves Huge Financial Burden

Mekong

"I insist that the easiest thing to do would be to sell the rice," and he continued with some transaction details. Suthep mentioned that the government had tried to monopolize the rice market, by trying to form a cartel."

Exactly what I have been saying all along!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Suthep saying "Monopoly" and "Cartel" and that is what it is, PTP under the auspice of "The Rice Pledging Scheme" have "Purchased" (I use that word loosely) from the farmers at 150% of Market Value, talk about vote buying on a major scale.

So, where has the rice gone? that is the US$ Million Question now, Rice Pledging Committee have been reluctant since day one to carry out an inventory. Is it the millers, is it the committee are they in it in cahoots, has it been sold on the local market or exported? So many questions and so few answers.

Isn't it strange that after Suthep made the threat to break into warehouses and "Liberate the Rice" back to the farmers that the Government have said nothing, they are inviting him to carry out the threat so that then they could blame the break in's for the unaccounted stocks. Hopefully in his speech yesterday it was just empty rhetoric and allows due process to proceed because I am sure once the grain counters arrive they will find the cupboard bare.

Don't remember if this has been posted here ...

Thai Effort to Control Rice Market Backfires -

Payment Delays by Government Leave Farmers Deep in Debt

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304428004579352590377530118?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304428004579352590377530118.html

Archived