Thai Work Permit, Work In Different Province

limbo

Been told that you can work for a max of 2 weeks in a different province than your work permit is issued for. Any insights into this statement, is it true? Two different accountants thought it to be true but can't come up with hard facts when asked about it.

Once you apply for the work permit, you can work, no time limit was ever mentioned to me back when I got my work permit.

Out here in the sticks (Samut Sakhon) they are quite easy going about the work permit.

There are hundreds of thousands of Burma people working in the fish factories here that they treat us farang very politely!!

No where near as impolite as up in Bangkok!!!

From my personal experience I understand that one's WP is directly linked to a specific business & location..

Unless you are a "consultant" I can't see how you could be allowed to work from a different location......but I may be wrong

When my business in Pattaya was sold, my WP & also Non Imm B were cancelled...back to square 1....had to re do everything for current venture

Cheers DS

Having said that....it seems to be open to "local" interpretation of the rules....no 2 offices are the same...IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

so who was ever asked to show his WP to any nosy employment officer inspection(s)??

right stop worrying lol :)

the max benefit of WP may be to show it off at a high profile multi pricing venue such as that sleazy aquarium at siam paragon :shakehead in order to get a lower price :tuxedo: however i prefer to just shout at the poor low paid staff till they give me the lowest price! LOL

I spent a few years in publishing in the 1980s and had my own visa and a proper WP for the job. However, a number of Farangs did not. On two occasions I saw inspectors arrive to check people's papers. The boss's wife greeted them with a smile and showed them into her office. As soon as the inspectors were out of sight, those without WPs would head for the door and stay away until they got the all clear. So yes, it does happen.

Never seen any work permit check out here in Samut Sakhon.

The WP makes life easy, when you:

open bank accounts, at any bank

when you purchase a vehicle

setting up retirement accounts

getting you the "30 Baht" insurance

when returning from another country to Thailand...etc

so who was ever asked to show his WP to any nosy employment officer inspection(s)??

right stop worrying lol :)

Between 2005 / 2008 the company I was with had approx 1,000 Employee's about 20% were non Thai and needed Work Permits.

Quite often Chonburi Immigration Office used to turn up unannounced and carry out Work Permit checks about 3 or 4 times per year, never an issue since W.P.'s were held in office safe.

More recently when I had my own company and Work Permit immigration never checked up on me once.

So, in my experience they tend to check up more on multinationals or companies employing a number of non-Thai employees than individuals.

Mekong is correct in both his Posts.

In theory a Work Permit is issued with a specific Address at which the holder may work; in practice however there are no checks if one works - temporarily at least - in another location.

I run my own Company here with a Work Permit showing my Company Address in Bangkok, however I regularly go to Chonburi and Rayong, usually just a day visit, and further afield to Korat, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Haad Yai, Songkhla etc. and stay a couple of days, visiting Customers etc. and have never had a problem in over 20 years.

Patrick

Archived