Udd "war Drum" Meeting Begins

waerth

WE ARE COMING TO GET YOU AND WE WILL BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF YOU! But we won't be violent about it. :angel:

Well done, Takky. You are managing to start a civil war. Are you really so stupid that you think you can ever set oot in LOS again and stay alive?

Agreed Mac, Its sort of like we(many) conjectured would happen last month IE a series of sporadic terrorist events because well because he is not getting his f------ way.

Gam mai dee mahk mahl

A European friend who speaks fairly fluent Thai had a long chat with some protester "militia" types down near Rama IV/Lumpini area last week. They said that a lot of the southern protesters had returned to the south over the past two weeks, to assist the "stay-behinds" in completing the rubber harvest. That work will be finished this week - and after this, the rubber farmers will have nothing to better to do for several months than to come to Bangkok and butt heads with the sitting government and the red shirt supporters. He was told that the returning mob members will include the previous group, as well as the former "stay-behind" rubber-tenders.

So - it seems that a lot of the pitched tents may, in fact, be empty - left behind by workers who had to bring in the rubber harvest over the past couple of weeks - but will soon be returning - with reinforcements.

I have no independent confirmation of any of this - but the story seems to make sense, and seems to match what I see on the ground.

If this story is correct, then March 2014 is going to be a messy time in Bangkok.

Cheers!

SS

You just can't get it. Thida, the communist, is on Thaksin's side. Suthep is anything but a communist.

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

I don't dispute that Thida went and hid out with the Communists in the jungle, the alternative being quite probably to be put to death by the government at the time.

For that matter, some of the Red Shirt leaders are known to have gotten their political indoctrination and training in Mao's camps.

At the same time, Suthep's mouthpiece has said a couple things that make me VERY nervous, and I still haven't seen anything that even remotely resembles a plan for the PDRC "reforms", or what they plan to do, beyond taking control of Thailand and ensuring that Clan Shinawatra never comes to power again. I have not seen one serious word on how he plans to accomplish that.

I've seen quotes from speeches that suggest he has said that each and every one of them will be executed. I discount this as hyperbole. I hope I'm right.

If you know more details about what precisely Suthep and his comrades plan on doing, please enlighten us all.

Pity you don't speak Thai. You would have enjoyed the farmers from Ayutthaya on the protest stage last night, telling how Yinglkuck has done nothing she promised for them. After the floods 2 years ago, Yingluck promised aid when their rice fields were deep under water. They are still waiting for it. Now add the unpaid for rice crop on top of that, they are not very happy. They said almost none of the farmers in Ayutthaya are red shirts any more. They were asked to go to the gathering in Ayutthaya, but no one went. They said, "Our help came from Bangkok [the PDRC donations]. Why should we go to Khorat?"

That is an absolutely separate issue. I stipulate for the purpose of discussion that Thaksin Shinawatra, as a convicted felon and fugitive from justice, belongs behind bars, not running the country. I agree that Yingluck Shinawatra got the job as PM because she was Thaksin's little sister, and presumably his proxy (I think Thai law uses the word "nominee" for something similar). I agree that Pheu Thai has bungled horribly, has made horrible missteps, and has screwed the farmers very badly.

However, saying that Suthep is by definition good because Pheu Thai is bad does not follow. Recall Batista and Castro.

As I have said numerous times, the whistle blowers are a coalition of numerous groups who all want to see the Shinwatra power broken. Suthep is simply a figurehead. If they do succeed in their goal, expect the coalition to dissolve fairly quickly and the factions go their separate ways. And when have I said that Suthep is good? I'd trust him more Thaksin though. I'd trust almost anyone more than Thaksin.

As to Thida fleeing to keep from being put to death, I know someone who fled to the jungle at the same time - even trained in Russia for a while. She has said quite simply, "I made a mistake." No one was threatening to kill her, but she was convinced the communism was best. I know how deeply involved the communists were in the 1976 student demonstrations. Most of the protesters were not red, but I saw the posters they sent out from Bangkok to other universities - featuring "heroic" Marx, Mao, Chou, Ho, Kieu Sampan etc. What really infuriated people was the proposed flag of the "People's Republic of Thailand". I saw vocational students go wild over that, trashing the display and kicking university students at random. That night a Bangkok student spoke on campus about how wonderful communism was. But when he got to the part about how communism "was right for Thailand", a vocational student shot at him. He missed and hit a musician. The meeting broke up in chaos, and the next day the rector closed the university and ordered all students to return home. Two days later, the Thammasat Massacre happened in Bangkok. Thida was one of those commies before the student massacre. And in an interview last year, she reportedly said that Thailand should have "communist democracy" to pave the way for "true democracy". She is still red.

Archived