Protest Info Please..

shamus

Hi All,

Hope i am in the correct forum? Myself and 5 other lads are heading over to BK next week for a splash and dash, 4 days of play.

Just have a few of the boys a little concerned with the mess that is happening at the moment, i have asked a few of my mates that are living in BK but i am getting mixed info, so a few questions that i hope you guys can clear up for us.

1. Is there any safety issues with Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza or even Patpong?

2. Walking around at night i hear is a small risk! is this correct?

As an expat myself that lived in LOS for 10 years, i don't have too many concerns but a few of the others are hearing mixed signals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Shamus

Not a worry at all, if you use good sense. I have visited 3 of the protest camps, never felt the least worried. I've also visited Soi Cowboy recently - a little slower than usual, but otherwise pretty much the same.

I have been through I don't know how many coups and protests over the years. Never yet had to duck for cover. :)

Having said that, don't go visiting the protest camp guards late at night. They have been a target for the pro-government forces for some time. If anything is going to happen it will be there, but they are far away from the nightlife.

p.s. The Dollhouse on Soi Cowboy had a birthday bash last night for one of its managers. Does that sound like it is dangerous? ;)

http://www.dollhouse...s-50th-birthday

• 2 weeks later...

No need to worry Shamus, there's been no popular protests going on these past months. It's been more of some kind of "modern art" installation piece, during which members of the ruling elite - a small roster of families benefiting from monarcho-religious dispensation and other quasi-monopolies have paid some ignant Thai folk (especially Southerners - are they really Thai anyway, these Muslims with their slurred speech? A question never far from the minds of the young, tasty, indignant-for-the-moment Bkkians who reinforced their stupid tent cities by day...) to sit in the street and cheer incomprehensible anti-democratic rants about - well, who knows what he was shouting about, that Suthep... That particular beer hall putsch has been put aside for a while, til new posters can be printed up with another... slogan.

The Burmese used to sorrow that the play was long over, the final lines spoken - yet the curtains had yet to be pulled closed, and the actors refused to leave the stage.... Refused to acknowledge the end of this evening's entertainments, and the inevitability of tomorrows new cast, new set, new story.