Is This Ironic, Or What ?

gobbledonk

You know where I got this: I was going to leave Thailand this year. 2014 was going to be the year to say goodbye. That decision was made in the second half of last year. I had the date of departure firmly in my mind, only a few aware of it. March 2014 was going to be the time to sign off - and today's column was going to be the last. I had lists of things to do before I left, from friends to farewell, and a goodbye column to pen. Unlike previous occasions when I had thoughts of leaving, this time I had a plan. But certain (positive) events conspired and like the opening date for a Bangkok bar, it didn't happen.

. back to moi - carriage return and italics don't seem to work in this editor any more ...

OK - a month away from my own return/retirement in Asia - it would have been supreme irony that one of the voices that motivated me to revisit Thailand after that first disastrous trip would have been flying out shortly before I fly in. That's probably not ironic to anyone but me, but after more than ten years of reading his column, that would have been like finding a bottle on the beach with a letter from Jim Thompson :D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im confused...

Sigh ...

OK - a gentleman known as 'Stickman' writes a weekly column for big people - like, you know, adults and stuff. Mr Stickman periodically turns said column into a major venting session where he threatens to leave Thailand : these sessions have increased in both frequency and 'surety' over the last few years, but to date he has reneged each time.

In Mr Stickman's latest column he claims that he basically had his bags packed for March, 2014 - intent on returning to NZ permanently - and I fly out of Oz, never to return, in April. OK - NZ isnt Oz, March isnt April and Bangkok isnt Penang, but Mr Stickman was the person who suggested this board back when it was 'nanaplaza.com'. The idea that he would even consider swapping Asia for dreary old NZ - particularly as Winter descends on the Shaky Isles - at a time when I am finally about to get on the plane just seemed ironic to me. That's it - no door prizes, no 3-night stays on the Gold Coast - just one crazy old man musing on something a slightly younger man didnt actually do. Weird, huh ?

Stick has been talking about leaving as long as I can remember. I left Thailand once upon a time. I found that everything I complained about here was the same at home, except without a smile. I doubt he would last long in Middle Earth.

For one thing, he has developed a very successful website. Does he really want to give that up? I don't think Sanuk in Auckland would have much of a following. :p

I find that if I leave LOS approx. every three months, I get a chance to decompress.

If I am here longer then 90 days, I get grumpy with...

azzhole Thai drivers

piss ant police shaking me down

traffic jams

lousy roads

stupid intersections

etc

etc

etc

I am lucky that I often fly out for business, meaning no cost to me and then the yearly trip back to the ranch in the USA...

Archived