Is This Ironic, Or What ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find that if I leave LOS approx. every three months, I get a chance to decompress.

If I am here longer then 90 days, I get grumpy with...

azzhole Thai drivers

piss ant police shaking me down

traffic jams

lousy roads

stupid intersections

etc

etc

etc

I am lucky that I often fly out for business, meaning no cost to me and then the yearly trip back to the ranch in the USA...

This. I'm stuffed if I know how anyone - Thai or Farang - could live in Bangkok 365 days a year and not go completely loopy. Even with the obligatory trip home for Songkran and other festivals, I'm guessing that many Thais cant afford to leave town - little wonder that those who spend the bulk of their lives in the tourist areas develop some very unfortunate attitudes to Farang :(

As for cities like Jakarta and Manila - words fail me when I contemplate life in either of those nightmarish conurbations. Even KL would grind on me.

A couple of weeks is about as long as i can stand in LOS/ Then I'm ready to GET THE HELL ON OUT. If I have to live here long term, I'd be crazy, drunk or both. Most other destination, I can only tolerate a few days, so LOS is actually a favorite. If i have to live away from home, I'd be a vagabond -- a few days here, a weeks there, moving frequently...and i'd end up with that dreaded 'million mile stare'.

No argument from me, but then I couldnt live in Sydney or Melbourne either - even Brissie is a lot worse than it used to be back in the 90s. Oz is a victim of it's own success, and like all such victims we eventually kill what we came to enjoy - that goes for Patts and Hua Hin too.

It's one of the more bizarre aspects of Patts for me - even with the insane traffic and tourist hordes, after a week or so on lower Suk it actually does seem like a 'holiday retreat' ! If anything sums up BKK for me, its the fact that you can have a traffic jam on lower Suk at midnight that is comprised almost entirely of taxis - cabs streaming down Suk Soi 3 and tryng to get into Soi 4 against the 'tide' of cabs coming the other way. Insane.

Years ago, I learned that one week in Bangkok was not long enough. I usually come for two weeks at a time. Usually, around Day 10 I'm starting to think about heading back to the States.

Two weeks in the tourist ghetto would drive me barmy ... well, even more than I already am. But I live in a quiet northern part of the city where no one bothers me. I have been downtown today, which reminded me how much I would hate being faced with that every day. :p

People in my neighbourhood still rides bicycles, but I am about 20 minutes from many shopping areas and western restaurants. The nightlife is not that far away, if I feel like paying a visit.

Archived