Malaysian Airlines Plane Missing Over Vietnam

bust

Malaysian plane still missing amid false passport claims

There were no confirmed signs of the plane or any wreckage, more than 24 hours after it went missing. Operations will continue through the night, officials said. There were no indications of sabotage nor claims of a terrorist attack. But the passenger manifest issued by the airline included the names of two Europeans who, according to their foreign ministries, were not in fact on the plane.

A foreign ministry spokesman in Vienna said: “Our embassy got the information that there was an Austrian on board. That was the passenger list from Malaysia Airlines. Our system came back with a note that this is a stolen passport.â€

Austrian police had found the man safe at home. The passport was stolen two years ago while he was travelling in Thailand, the spokesman said. The foreign ministry in Rome said no Italian was on the plane either, despite the inclusion of an Italian national on the list. The man’s mother later told Reuters her son’s passport was lost, presumed stolen, in Thailand in 2013.

The 11-year-old Boeing, powered by Rolls-Royce Trent engines, took off at 12:40am from Kuala Lumpur International Airport and was apparently flying in good weather conditions when it went missing without a distress call.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/malaysian-plane-still-missing-amid-false-passport-claims-1.1717931

p.s. My immediate thought to the sudden disappearance was a bomb. I expect most people thought the same thing.

Two imposters on board plane

The Star

PETALING JAYA

March 9, 2014

An Italian man, whose name was listed as having boarded the MAS flight MH370 that was reported missing on Saturday, was not on board the plane.

According to reports, someone else had used the passport of Luigi Maraldi to board the plane. He is alive and well in Thailand on a holiday.

Italy’s foreign ministry functionary, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed that Maraldi had reported his passport stolen last August.

According to Italian newspaper, La Republica, Maraldi returned home after his passport was stolen and had a new one issued.

When officials heard of the missing plane, they went to his parents' home, but they said their son was alive and well in Thailand, and had called to say he was fine.

"I am fine, I was not on the flight," he told his parents.

London's Daily Mirror reported that a second passenger on the flight had also used a stolen passport.

Austrian authorities have confirmed that Christan Kozel "is safe and well."

Kozel told Austrian newspaper Die Standard that his passport was stolen when he visited Thailand two years ago.

It is still unclear as to who had travelled on MH370 under the two names

http://www.nationmul...e-30228753.html

I think it would be hard to make a clear call on what happened with all that's in the public domain so far. For sure there is a lot more known than has been published to date. What I find interesting in this particular case is given the number of Chinese nationals on board, given Beijing was the destination and given the flight was a code share with China Southern the deafening silence almost from the Chinese authorities on this matter.

We tend to think of suicide activisits as Mohamedans mostly perhaps from their being hoodwinked into a belief of martydom resulting from suicide in the name of their cause. Self immolation in Chinese annexes is not unknown though and the recent knife/sword attack at Kunmings railway station suggests a growing interest in expanding the disputes of people from Tibet and Xinjiang.

Were this any sort of terror attack, and that's still very much an if right now, then I would have to think this has more to do with bringing domestic Chinese politics into the international discussion space rather than any simple religous nutjob event.

I hadn't realised the Uigher are also islamites but it sort of makes sense, in a way, I guess. If anything this reinforces my view that the likely cause of the MH370 disappearance has as much to do with domestic Chinese matters and Xinjiang separatists as anything else.