Carrying ~300K On Soi Asoke ..

gobbledonk

Hi,

Not sure how long bank transfers take, interbank transfers by ATM are usually instantaneous, but I doubt you can transfer 300K that way.

Most shopping centers have multiple banks in the building though, so you could easily withdraw the money from one bank, walk 10-20 meters to the other bank and deposit it again.

Sanuk!

Carrying cash is a long tradition by everyone here including me- I have walked all over BKK with cash well in excess of the amounts you mention. for decades

Just keep your wits about you and your eyes ahead of you-no problem-

Ahhh I feel for you Gobbly, when I was in count down mode, I fretted about the most minor (and major) things. I even wrote blow by blow accounts of my communications and miscommunications with MLG.

It's taken me two years to wind down.

I hope I get the chance to meet you one of these days...

but the taxi could get searched before reaching :nono:

and all this to avoid the obvious ... getting the cash inside the damn shopping centre or god forbid the 3% CC fee lol :)

That's 9K baht I could be spending on beer - why give it to Visa ? To many of us, 9K baht isnt a big deal, but I was roundly castigated on this board back in 2008 for admitting that I'd blown 20K on little more than a killer hangover and the undying (!) gratitude of several women who ended up with bottles of overpriced spirits when I allegedly left to return to my apartment. To this day, I have little recollection of the later parts of the evening and absolutely zero recollection of getting in a cab or staggering into the elevator at the apartment block on Soi 22.

If I'm saddened by anything in the interim, its that I suspect I would struggle to recreate that sort of excess with 20K in BKK in 2014, as the town appears to be infected with the 'Jakarta Syndrome'. Still not sure how students can afford to hang out in bars where a drink costs ~300 baht, but it's the mentality that 'if its expensive, it must be good !' which wears me out. In any case, one of the big pluses with cash is that it gives me a lot more bargaining power than a card - YMMV.

Munchy, your suggestion mirrors what I typed earlier re getting a second cab back from Soi 22 to enable me to get straight out at the entrance to the building. Until I read about the guy being harrassed in front of the would-be hi-so at Emporium I would have seen that as a flawless plan - now, I'm not so confident. StoneSoup's post is heartening, but the great thing about paranoia is that it doesnt mean the world is not out to get me ;)

Ahhh I feel for you Gobbly, when I was in count down mode, I fretted about the most minor (and major) things. I even wrote blow by blow accounts of my communications and miscommunications with MLG.

It's taken me two years to wind down.

I hope I get the chance to meet you one of these days...

Thanks coss, but you'd only be disappointed - all of my ex's and most of my former employers have been ;)

FWIW, I did drink Beer Lao until getting absolutely legless on the stuff and making a fool of myself in VT - now, like Steinlager and VB before it, even the smell of an opened bottle conjures some unhappy memories. As bland as many here would consider it, I found salvation in Beer Leo, but I've also been known to drink Tiger, Carlsberg and Heineken. I draw the line at some of the formaldehyde-based brands, but I dont know that anyone who can drink Mehkong neat is really in a position to cast aspersions on Singha drinkers. When it's late enough, and we're drunk enough, I've found you can foist pretty much anything on people and they'll give it a shot - hope to catch up with you on Soi 4 at 3am later in the year and we'll put that to the test :D

Thanks coss, but you'd only be disappointed - all of my ex's and most of my former employers have been ;)

FWIW, I did drink Beer Lao until getting absolutely legless on the stuff and making a fool of myself in VT - now, like Steinlager and VB before it, even the smell of an opened bottle conjures some unhappy memories. As bland as many here would consider it, I found salvation in Beer Leo, but I've also been known to drink Tiger, Carlsberg and Heineken. I draw the line at some of the formaldehyde-based brands, but I dont know that anyone who can drink Mehkong neat is really in a position to cast aspersions on Singha drinkers. When it's late enough, and we're drunk enough, I've found you can foist pretty much anything on people and they'll give it a shot - hope to catch up with you on Soi 4 at 3am later in the year and we'll put that to the test :D

FYI Leo is made by the same brewery that makes Singha. :)

But I like it better than Singha.10 or more years ago, I liked Chang. But nowadays Chang is just awful. Not at all the same taste. Tiger is made here by the brewery that used to make Carlsberg.