what about working as a tour guide

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't work for, or start my own Company? What if I get a Thai wife, can I start a company in her name but still do the tours myself? What would happen to me if I hung out at the airport with all of the other touts trying to get business? Are you saying there is no way?

No way, no hell, no how.

If you do it, and especially if you are successful at it, your competitors will rat you out. No doubt!!! Even if your wife does all the talking and you are just following the group, they'll get you.

A guy got clipped doing exactly this. He was doing motorcycle tours of northern Thailand. Think this was about 2 to 3 years ago. Persona non grata now. He's got a Thai wife too.

<<burp>>

I have a way you could possibly do it totally legal. Only though if you American. Are you ? This way would be the best.

If you are not American, think you could do it in my opinion, as a translator. ( You better know Thai though!!) You translate for a Thai employee to a English speaking person. As long as you repeated what the Thai guy said in English and English to Thai to the Thai guy you should be ok. Get a lawyers viewpoint and make sure!!!!

My thinking is you could legally be a "consultant" and teach the Thai guy how to give a presentation. Out in the " field" you are simply the translator.

I am an American, I am taking Thai lessons with ther goal of being fluent. Could I work as an interpreter for english spesking touists?

BassGod: It would proably be easier for you to get away with it, as you would probably be thought of as just a local expat showing friends and family in town around. (They might get suspicious after your 100th appearance or so.) Who geenrally gets pounced on is the lone Thai with a group of farangs; he or she sticks out like a sore thumb.

Archived