Australia Wins Un Whaling Case

bust

skynews_962980.jpg

The UN's top court has ruled that Japan's whaling hunt in the Southern Ocean is not a scientific program as Tokyo has always claimed.

'The court concludes that the special permits granted by Japan for the killing, taking and treating of whales in connection with JARPA II are not for purposes of scientific research,' President Peter Tomka told the International Court of Justice in The Hague on Monday.

The court ruled Tokyo should cease its whaling program 'with immediate effect'.

The ICJ, by 12 votes to four, said Japan hadn't acted in compliance with its obligations under the international whaling convention.

Australia had asked the 16-judge panel to ban Japan's annual hunt on the basis it was not 'for purposes of scientific research' as allowed under Article 8 of the 1946 International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling.

Canberra argued Tokyo was cloaking a commercial whaling operation 'in the lab coat of science' despite agreeing to a 1980s ban on harpooning.

Japan, however, countered during a three-week hearing in mid-2013 that the ICJ didn't have the authority to decide what was, or wasn't, science.

It insisted lethal research was both lawful and necessary.

But the court on Monday dismissed Tokyo's argument.

• Like 1

Like they said in the 1980s and then went on to do what they wanted to do! very unimpressed!!

Remember, the Japanese "yes" only means, "yes, I heard the question"...not a "yes" that they agree to the requirements!!!

AN old trick used by the Japanese in the USA when negotiating contracts and what not...

One thing in defense of the Japanese whale hunting, they use all the whale, nothing goes to waste.

As one Japanese told me when I asked why they ate whale...she said, "...we didn't have so much beef, like in the USA...".

OK, fair enough. I had tried whale sashimi, didn't like it, so it is easy for me to say, stop hunting whales as I have no intention of eating them.