8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately

Flashermac

The list of the beers here...

1. Newcastle Brown Ale

The Newcastle beer has been found to contain caramel coloring. Class 3 and 4 caramel coloring is made from ammonia, which is classified as a carcinogen. “The one and only†beer with cancer causing qualities.

2. Budweiser

One of the most popular beers, or most advertised is Budweiser. Budweiser contains genetically modified(GMO) corn. In 2007, Greenpeace discovered experimental GMO rice in Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser) beer.

3. Corona Extra

I used to love Corona’s commercials. They were so peaceful and relaxing. That is until I found out that the beer contains GMO Corn Syrup and Propylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol is controversial, and is said to may be potentially harmful to your health.

4. Miller Lite

This is another very popular beer in America that contains GMOs. Miller Lite contains GMO corn and corn syrup. It’s “GMO timeâ€.

5. Michelob Ultra

Less popular but still readily available Michelob beer, should be eliminated from your choices. This beer has been found to contain a genetically modified sweetener (GMO dextrose).

6. Guinness

Guinness is often praised for it’s smoothness. However, several investigations proved that Guinness ingredients are quite disturbing. The beer contains fish bladder and high fructose corn syrup. High fructose corn syrup has been long banned from many stores and drinks.

7. Coors Light

Coors light is a drink that is very popular at bars and among college students. Mostly because its cheap. The beer contains GMO corn syrup.

8. Pabst Blue Ribbon

Pabst Blue Ribbon contains GMO corn and GMO corn syrup.

Healthy Beer Alternatives

So when it comes to beer you have to be very careful. Your best option is to find a microbrewery that you can trust. As with everything, try to avoid cheap, low-quality products. Bars may offer Coors Light, Miller Lite or Budweiser specials, but they are cheap for a reason. The rest of the world is banning GMOs everywhere, while USA is lagging years behind, and only several states offer GMO labeling laws. Try to stay away from any American beers. Choose organic beer. Beers that contain 100% organic labels, have to have ingredients that are all 100% organic. While an “organic†label just means 95% of it will be organic. European beer is most likely to be safe from GMO ingredients but unfortunately, most other beer contains GMO artificial ingredients, stabilizers, grains and preservatives, plus, HFCS.

GMO Free Beers:

Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)

Wolaver’s – all beers

Lamar Street – Whole Foods label (brewed by Goose Island)

Bison – all beers

Dogfish Head (organic when ingredients available)

Fish Brewery Company – Fish Tale Ales

Lakefront Brewery – Organic ESB

Brooklyn – (organic when ingredients are available)

Pinkus – all beers

Samuel Smiths – Samuel Smiths Organic Ale

Wychwood – Scarecrow Ale

Non-Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)

Sierra Nevada – all choices

Duck Rabbit – Brown Ale, Porter, Amber Ale, Milk Stout

Dogfish Head- 60 Minute IPA, Shelter Pale Ale, Chicory Stout

Shipyard – Summer Brew

Victory Brewery – Whirlwind

North Coast – Blue Star

Bridgeport – IPA (Bottle conditioned)

Ayinger – all choices

Royal Oak – Pale Ale

Fraziskaner – Hefeweisse and Dunkel Weisse

Weihenstephaner – Hefe Weissbier

Maisel’s – Weisse

Hoegaarden – Belgian Wit

Other

Heineken

Steamwhistle

Amstel Light

Duchy Original Ale Organic

Mill Street Brewery

Fuller’s Organic

Nelson Organic Ale

Natureland Organic

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like any of the 8 listed as dangerous aside from of course Guiness, I guess that would be true for most people who think they know beer at all. Actually I did drink Newcastle when I lived in Chicago for awhile, but after my tastes refined I realized it was nothing special. In some bars and clubs Corona is the least bad choice on the menu, so I do have that sometimes. I'm not sure about the organic beers, Wychwood and Samuel Smiths are ones I might have tried at one point, but not familiar with the others. Of the non-organics, I used to often drink Sierra Nevada in San Francisco, and have had Hoegarden and Franziskaner a few times. I'm not a fan of the beers I know in the last group, which to me seem similar to the ones in the first group. I wonder where some other better known American beers would fall, ones like Sam Adams, Anchor Steam. There was one more that was often on tap, easily available at bars around San Francisco (along with Sierra Nevada and Anchor) but can't remember the name. Hearty with an orange color to it.

• 2 years later...

I've had a Pabst once in HMC about 25 years ago. I was probably the most appaling beer I've ever tasted. Of American beers available i Sweden I only drink Brooklyn, Samuel Adams and Lagunitas (great beers).

Pabst Blue Ribbon serves its American purposes at times - a $2 beer in a $10 cocktail joint, say. Brooklyn and many other smaller breweries are good, Sam Adams has gone the way of the corporate swill, but Lagunitas is fucking brilliant - I used to have a housemate who completed a master's degree in brewing, and was making his way up the brewing ladder - eventually ended up as a brewer at Lagunitas, which was pretty much pinnacle - and got us free beer in the house! Unfortunately the long commute from Berkeley to the brewery ended up with him leaving Lagunitas, but damn, that was and is good beer. Lagunitas IPA is to me as good as it gets in USA.