Why I Hate Songkran!

khunsanuk

Hi,

Walking home from work this evening a little kid - maybe 8-10 years old - had a water gun and even though I told him not to shoot, he of course did so anyway. So, not only did he shoot while I expressedly told him not to, Songkran doesn't even start for another 3 days. And what pisses me off most is that there is fuck all I can do about it as any comment from my part would have resulted in people getting pissed off with me.

Sanuk!

My first Songkran (1973) was delightful. So were all the rest through the 1970s and into the '80. If you didn't want to join in, most people would smile and leave you alone. I remember when older Thais would ask permission to pour scented water on your hands. They would wai and do so, thanking you afterwards. It was a sign of respect, since they knew us was an "archan". It was the same thing they did to monks.

Since then Songkran has turned into absolute mayhem. Bangkok designates certain areas to gather if you want to be an obnoxious prat. KSR even holds its own "Songkran" days before the real Songkran, and "backpackers" travel here specifically to join in. The Farangs are always the worst in any part of the city. Too many feel they can be an absolute dickhead and claim they are just "celebrating a Thai holiday". It's a wonder there aren't more Songkran related murders these days. :p

On the positive side, in my suburban area almost no one is out with the water except for a few small children. The "war wagons" may cruise the streets, but they only stop for a battle when they encounter another group waiting to engage them. During recent Songkrans, I have stayed relatively dry. You can't say that, if you live in the Farang ghettos. :)

post-98-0-90174700-1397184357_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-44584000-1397184377_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-20558200-1397184394_thumb.jpeg

It has started here in Samut Sakhon (Mahachai)...any skill to operate a motor vehicle has completely evaporated! They are maniacs driving up and down Rama 2 and even Ekachai Road!!

One pickup was racing to do a u-tuen, damn near flipping over on to a few motorsai...complete insanity!

I will not venture up country (Khon Kaen) this Songkran due to my schedule and the piles of vehicles making the mass exit to Isaan.

This will be my first Songkran in Samut Sakhon....so far, not impressed!!!

Every Thai holiday, I see many Thais turn in to complete azzholes...WTF...

I will take an Isaan Songkran over a Bangkok or far worse, Pattaya.

I went to KSR one time, but I was prepared wearing old clothes and the day was hot, so didn't mind the water

until I was sitting on a chair, talking on the phone when some lady dumped a bucket of water on my head, frying

the phone!

The azzzhole gene flares up during Songkran!!!

Hi,

Walking home from work this evening a little kid - maybe 8-10 years old - had a water gun and even though I told him not to shoot, he of course did so anyway. So, not only did he shoot while I expressedly told him not to, Songkran doesn't even start for another 3 days. And what pisses me off most is that there is fuck all I can do about it as any comment from my part would have resulted in people getting pissed off with me.

Sanuk!

I am not surprised at all that you dont like it, neither would I.....then again, who can blame the kid for lack of dicipline and lack of respect, when he needs to receive that from his elders, who also grew up without a good education system, lack of respect or discipline due to a totally corrupt country.....

Then again, I love Thailand for many reasons, and will always avoid Songkran :)

BB

What grinds my gears is that I don't like to be doused with ice water or water with chili peppers in it.

Silly me but after my friend's wife had a tooth knocked out while she was on a motorsai and some cnut

threw water with ice cubes in it....fark that!!!

I do not like to have things forced on me, like the throwing of the water. Hey....how about UP TO ME???

No, they FORCE their "culture" on to you....but farang no understand Khun Thai...I do understand the lack

of respect and wanting myself to have a say in the matter but Khun Thai, you don't understand 1mm outside

of Thailand...

...rant just getting started, for the next few days...

• Like 1

Here in the Glorious People's Republic of Indolence, Songkran is Pi Mai Lao, or Lao New Year.

Like Thailand, the country starts partying a week before, and all during the week, of the 3 days it officially is.

It's amazing, every house, shop, tin shack and chicken coop, has a bunch of people, sitting in a pile of Beer Lao empties.

The water throwing is generally respectful.

Last year, neither my car nor my person were subjected to any unwanted water. Though I did see a handful of Farang Backpackers behaving in the prescribed Kao San Rd manner, down near the river front, in the backpacker ghetto.