Why I Hate Songkran!

khunsanuk

Saw on the Thai TV News, the police stopping cars and doing a breathalyzer test for alcohol...

the motorsias passing thru the check points, wearing NO HELMETS...WTF

The police can't even enforce a helmet law?

Down by me, some groups were set up on Ekachai Road (the main road into the city), throwing

buckets of water on to any vehicle that would pass, the motorsais would swerve all over the two

lane road to try to avoid the water...the police with a check point 100 meters away, doing what

they do best...NOTHING!!!

Ohhhhh.... :topic: ...Suthep and the protesters will fix all this 5555555555555555555555555555555

In suburban VTE, this is what we contend with, vicious ingrates, endangering the traffic...

No not really, cute kids, who wet my already dirty car and enjoyed it, bringing a smile to my face. The rest of the streets had similar small groupings, with plenty of tipsy girls in wet t'shirts, all done in the best possible respectful manner. There is of course some Chaos San Rd mayhem on the river front, but as with most things Lao, it's organised and confined there.

One of my enduring memories will be of G'ma, who having carefully prepared a small bucket of water with flowers and just a hint of perfume, waited for hours, in the afternoon sun in the road, for the small procession from the local temple to go past. And when they did, she carefully sprinkled the water on each as they passed.

Most civil

"One of my enduring memories will be of G'ma, who having carefully prepared a small bucket of water with flowers and just a hint of perfume, waited for hours, in the afternoon sun in the road, for the small procession from the local temple to go past. And when they did, she carefully sprinkled the water on each as they passed."

That was what I encountered during my first Songkran in 1973. :)

It is surprisingly quiet in my neighbourhood. Almost everyone seems to have gone away. I had to venture out shopping yesterday, and the nearly empty streets and mostly closed stalls in the market reminded me of the way it was during the big flood several years ago. I only saw one women with two small children who were looking for someone to squirt with their water guns. They shot at me, but missed. Coming home, two brats on a motorcycle passed and spritzed me a bit. That was it ... almost a ghost town. No war wagons on the streets and no mobs of wet teenagers waiting to ambush you.

The shops are nearly all closed, but my dependable nearby Issan restaurant was open. I was their only customer. Unfortunately, the diners the night before had guzzled all of the beer. The owner said he had ordered more, but it had yet to arrive. So it was a dry Songkran in another way.

One more day ... we shall see. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone came back by bus and left their #$@%! cars upcountry!

Cheer up, lads - I get to spend the most boring day on the Australian calendar (no mean feat ..) cleaning my digs and punching the air at the prospect of never having to endure the tedium of Good Friday again. Loathed it as a child and loathe it as an adult - easily the worst day of the year. Roll on Easter Monday !