Us Navy Announced End To "big Oil"... And No One Noticed...?

TheCorinthian

Scientists at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory are developing a process to extract carbon dioxide (CO2) and produce hydrogen gas (H2) from seawater, subsequently catalytically converting the CO2 and H2 into jet fuel by a gas-to-liquids process.

I read this with excitement and before I left to come to LOS, I ordered some equipment for the lab to try it myself. I know they have been trying this for a while, but did not think they had a working model online. But this is impressive news...!

http://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news-releases/2012/fueling-the-fleet-navy-looks-to-the-seas

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/13/newser-navy-seawater-fuel/7668665/

• Like 1

There's a better way to do it.

6 CO2 + 6 H2O + sunlight + chlorophyll + other processes --> C6H12O6 + 6 O2

This, oversimplified, is called "photosynthesis". It is how Mother Nature recycles CO2.

C6H12O6 + 6 O2 --> 6 CO2 + 6 H2O + heat.

This is called "combustion". Or "digestion".

The two above reactions explain, in detail, why CO2 "sequestration" is one of the most idiotic ideas ever to emerge from Liberal-controlled Politically Correct "Environmentalism". Of course, you do have to know enough basic chemistry to know what C6H12O6 is.

This, oversimplified, is called "photosynthesis". It is how Mother Nature recycles CO2.

Only if you want your ship to run as fast as an oak tree. ;-)

• Like 3

This is called "combustion". Or "digestion".

The two above reactions explain, in detail, why CO2 "sequestration" is one of the most idiotic ideas ever to emerge from Liberal-controlled Politically Correct "Environmentalism". Of course, you do have to know enough basic chemistry to know what C6H12O6 is.

Sounds like a sweet way to do it