Annual Check Up

Mekong

Well, it was not as bad as I was fearing, the preparation is far worse than the actual procedures, the evacuation of the bowels spending half of last on the toilet and the other half not daring to sleep for fear of having a "wet fart" in bed. 16 hours of no food and drink.

I thought the procedures would be done under general anaesthetic, but not to be, my Consultant uses his own method. For the throat endoscope they spray the throat with some sort of numbing spray and I never felt a thing. For the actually colonoscopy they put you on a drip of muscle relaxant and I would call it more irritating than uncomfortable of painful. All in all took about an hour followed by another hour in the recovery room to allow the muscle relaxant to wear off. I expected to have a sore throat or a sore butt but no after effects apart fro being lethargic which probably more due to the fact I had very little sleep last night.

I got positive results, all clear next check of this type due in 2019.

• Like 1

Hi,

Good to hear the results were positive!

(I'm assuming here you mean the results were positive in the way of them being good, rather than positive as in 'you tested positive for ...' :) )

Sanuk!

Correct, results came back negative so a Positve result for me

• 2 weeks later...

I never go to a doctor, because if you say " Find something wrong with me " they do

I have read some crap in my life but nothing as stupid as this.

I find Thai Consultants amongst the best in the world, mine is proud to tell me I find nothing wrong with you Blood test results come back A1, Paranoid, maybe, but I would rather know that there is nothing wrong with me than to find out too late, I am high risk of cancer so chose to check up.

Wise move Kong....I went for 2 years with upcountry Docs telling me....It's a blocked saliva gland....nothing to worry about....RIGHT

They had supposedly done tests on the fluid they extracted from my neck....well I paid for their tests

Anywa....all's well....that ends well

Cheers DC

• 3 months later...

I have one every year on my birthday (which was a few weeks ago and yes you all forgot it) have done for the last few years.

I had an endoscopy done a few months ago as I was experiencing excessive reflux/indigestion but everything was all clear. I have put on a bit of weight over the past couple of years since I started drinking again after being off it for 20 years. Seems to be just the result of bloating. Now I walk 4 kms every day which will soon become 4km job followed by laps in the pool once the weather warms up a bit to try and drop a few kilos. Everything else came up perfect. Cholesterol, BP, Blood Sugar, Liver Function and all my bloods came back with an all clear.

The nurse of the Doctor that I saw in March calls 1-2 times a month, wanting to schedule a colonoscopy. I have no medical issues except those that come with age (knee discomfort after installing wood flooring over several days). I still think that the main reason that my "Doctor" (I've seen him twice; for the blood and urine testing and the follow up) wants to do the procedure is because it is done in a Doctor's building (of which I'm sure he is part owner) and he can schedule them all day, like an assembly line, and make a nice day's income from it. I should have a colonoscopy but am determined not by him. As not one of the other 4 members of my family have seen a Doctor since the policy went into effect March 1 (and have no desire to have a check up, even though covered under the policy), the only value that the insurance has is through use in emergency situations. I can change insurance companies starting November 1 and will most likely dump Coventry for Blue Cross. I wish that I would have had the physical as scheduled when I was in Chiang Mai last summer. I've found medical treatment in Thailand much preferred over what I and my family have received in the U.S.