Access To The Internet A Basic Human Right

Access to the internet should be regarded as a basic human right. The internet was originally an open medium without restrictions. That was until governments realised that to control people they first had to control access to the internet.

I'm thinking North Korea, China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and Sudan as some examples of governments controlling access.

You should visit the USA sometime, never fear the FCC has made a huge turn around in the last week, "Treat Broadband as a utility" is now moving from wacko far left in USA to main stream normal lefties.

However the debate on it being a basic right often wrinkles the nose of those who believe the core UN rights are far more important, join the ITU debate, I believe in broadband networks as utilities, ISP's can be private/public, but as a basic human right? No, that's the territory of food, water, right to education etc,

I would much rather see the right to a free University education over Internet as a basic right, frankly it diminishes far more important debates.

• 3 weeks later...

It would seem in Thailand, that most do regard access to the internet as a basic human right, considering the backlash when it thought social media might be cut off

I would much rather see the right to a free University education over Internet as a basic right, frankly it diminishes far more important debates.

When I was a kid, back in the old black and white TV days, there were early morning university classes on 5 days a week. I asked my folks what they were, and they told me that people could sign up for the courses and take the exams, earning credits for a degree. The classes were on before they had to go to work. I wonder whatever happened to that idea.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, back in the old black and white TV days, there were early morning university classes on 5 days a week. I asked my folks what they were, and they told me that people could sign up for the courses and take the exams, earning credits for a degree. The classes were on before they had to go to work. I wonder whatever happened to that idea.

A lot available online now, which rather completes the circle so far as human rights for education and internet access is concerned. Plenty of universities offering courses for free as well as they experiment with what works and what doesn't. You get to be a guinea pig and study for a qualification at the same time.

• Like 1