A Sincere Question for the Cell Phone Experts

Guys,

I apologize, in advance, if this question has been asked/answered recently. My search of the archives came up negative.

I own a Nokia 3330 that I bought in the Philippines. I've accepted a job in BKK, and I'd like to use my phone locally.

My Nokia 3330 Owner's Manual, coincidentally, is written in Thai. Hopefully, I'll be able to buy a local SIM card and be in business. Is this a correct assumption?

If it's a matter of only buying a Thai SIM card, I'll do that if that's the Board's recommendation. If it's that easy, I'll follow previously-posted info on plans (e.g. - Orange, DTAC, etc.).

Of course, any other recommendations/commentary are solicited and very much welcomed.

Send me a personal note, if you wish.

THANKS!

Teacherwannabe

Ryan, I have a Motorola, so I'm not that familiar with Nokia's line of handsets.

However, I think I am safe in saying if you have a sim card now, you will be able to replace it quite cheaply with a sim card from either AIS or DTAC (not sure about TA Orange) which are quite cheap at the moment.

AIS, the largest company in the business here, just announced their sale of sim cards for handset from just about anywhere.

Each of the three companies here keeps raising the ante and I am sitting back waiting to make a move myself as the deals keep getting better and better.

Although I am somewhat technologically-challenged, I think in this area you should be OK. I'm hoping one of the board's techies jumps in to either confirm what I wrote or provide better information.

Welcome to Thailand, Ryan! smile.gif

Sarisin, where did you read this: "AIS, the largest company in the business here, just announced their sale of sim cards for handset from just about anywhere."

I am yet not aware AIS is planning to do this in the short future.

Erik, it's been in the newspapers over the past few days. AIS is selling sim cards for any phone and will unlock their own phones for free upon request.

So they joined the DTAC bandwagon.

As for the 3330, that's what they sell in the States I believe. I think the States use a different frequency. My manual states that the 3310 uses the GSM 900 and 1800 networks. If your 3330 works on the same then you are good to go.

<<burp>>

• 2 weeks later...

AIS has best coverage in Thailand, closely followed by DTAC.

Avoid Orange sims.

at present, DTAC sims are 300B, AIS, 800 or less.

Good luck and keep us posted.

"Erik, it's been in the newspapers over the past few days. AIS is selling sim cards for any phone"

yes, but it has also been in the newspapers these days that in reality things don't work the way these companies promise. Looks like they say they open their system but don't really do it?

Of course they have lots of excuses why things don't work - but a lot of customers complain.

Teacherwannabe, I was with a old mate tonight who has a Nokia from the Philippines. I had no idea myself about this, but we walked into one of the 3000 phone shops in Pattaya and in about 2 minutes, they loaded a pre paid sim card into it and it worked a treat (with a new Thai number of course). They also added four 500 baht prepaids further into it so he now has 2500 baht worth and can add more to that if needed keeping the same number for the week he will be here. Hope this helps. BTW it is with AIS..

Oscar.

Well I guess, to make sure, I will change the imei before going to Los. I will take with me 3 phones then. The one I prepared for my girlfriend. A Nokia in which I changed the language so has Thai language now, and the newest firmware version and now I have to change imei to make sure an One-2-call card is working. I did this already, untill I read it is not longer necessary because AIS has removed imei-lock so I changed it back to the original. Now people are telling that this imei-lock still exist. How can someone get crazy...Now I have to change it again. Further I have an Orange phone which is locked to Orange network. I can remove the lock but then I will lose the guarantee. So after the guarantee has ended I will remove it. Then I need a phone with a simcard from my homecountry. I hope I do not have to pay taxes to get the stuff into Thailand.

Archived