Passport Validity Question

Coss

After more investigation it seems that there should be no problem, as I'm returning to my own country, but never the less the chances of some airline staff applying a yes/no interpretation to this situation are high, so I'll renew the passport online and attempt to get it delivered. Bloody risky that.

• 3 months later...

For the sake of completion, here's how I fared.

I got an email from the NZ passport people saying my passport is valid to travel up to and including the expiry date, I took this with me but didn't use it.

The only problems I had were on departure from Vientiane when the functionary behind the desk (mommy didn't breastfeed me) was all of a flutter.

"We have six month rule"

"But I go to my home country"

"You go to Thailand first"

"Why would I want to stay in Thailand, horrible place, see my ongoing ticket to NZ"

At this point there was too much information in his brain to be processed, so he got a senior functionary who dismissed his concerns with a flip of the hand.

No trouble at Swampy.

I've since been to Sydney from Auckland return with only 2 weeks left on the passport. No worries, Even helpful tip from the immigration lady that I should get a renewal soon in case I hadn't noticed.

So, now my next question for those who've had experience. I have a USA 10 yr visa and similar visas for Laos et al, in my now "old" passport. When I get my new passport next week, am I able to travel using the new passport and showing the visa in my old passport?

Any advice appreciated.

Coss

I don't know about USA or Laos but when I renewed a Passport in Thailand about 7 years ago I had to have the Business Visa etc transferred to new passport and work permit reissued showing new passport number, I will soon face the same situation in Vietnam even though work permit and Temporary Residence Card are not shown in passport each document references the passport number.

I am pretty sure that this applies to most countries, once you have a new travel document your old one is invalid, but for a fee (off course) visa's can be transferred to new travel document.

I had a similar situation with a USA unlimited visa. the old passport was invalidated but the page with the USA visa on it was exempt from the scissors/hole puncher so I could still use together with my new passport. I'm a few passports down the line ever since but still have the one with the US visa, not sure how much good it will do me nowadays.