Why Do Red Shirts Get Far More Positive Press From Foreigners Than Do Whistleblowers/pdrc?

Flashermac

Michael Yon

Any answer will be complex, but there appear to be a few main reasons. I posed this question recently to a foreign correspondent who has been here for 14 years. He agrees with me that PDRC and Whistleblowers have the moral high ground by far, and that UDD commonly commits acts of terrorism.

Red Shirts are more media savvy. He went on to explain -- and I fully agreed with him -- that when he covered the 2010 fighting and was out with Reds, the leaders were extremely approachable. In fact, they approached him (and me). The Red leaders nurture press like they are raising crops. I was there in 2010 and this was the truth.

And so any correspondents who strongly respond to ego-stroking fertilizer are raised like rows of corn. Meanwhile, PDRC and other Whistleblowers -- while still being professional with the media -- often are more aloof. You typically must schedule talks, and often there is no free time in the schedule. I have far greater access than most because I am here more than most. But writers who are drifting through probably will not get much audience at PDRC, while the Reds will welcome the man-corn for lunch.

And so while both sides are approachable, the Reds are like farmers who grow media corn.

It is true now that it is difficult for many foreigners to meet with PDRC leadership. The correspondent I was speaking with -- who believes that PDRC is the best side in this struggle -- has a hard time getting with leaders, but he can go to the Reds and meet anyone any time.

Much of this is about access, and that Reds actively walk over to correspondents and veritably grab them by the ears.

PDRC seems to feel so strongly that they have the moral high ground against PTP and UDD, that it is self-evident and there is little need to explain it. In my view, PDRC and Whistleblowers in general, do own the moral high ground, but they still get pummeled by the media-corn that is fertilized by the UDD 'farmers.'

The UDD leadership, for all their faults, wins in the media by raising corn.

https://www.facebook...FanPage?fref=nf

Democracy is not perfect anywhere. Buts its better than the alternatives.

Also, BBC news in the UK is reporting that they have been closed down in Thailand. That is certain to piss them off.

All TV stations are off the air - no matter if news or entertainment.

I hope this doesn't last much longer. I seem to remember back in 2006 it was similar but not sure if the cable channels were off for more than one day. Anyone with a good memory?