Why Do Red Shirts Get Far More Positive Press From Foreigners Than Do Whistleblowers/pdrc?

Flashermac

From Wiki about the 2006 coup.

Television censorship[edit]

On the evening of Tuesday 19 September, regular programmes on Thai television channels were replaced by video clips and music authored by the King. The next day, shortly after Sondhi's TV conference, all Thai channels were back on air under control of the ICT Ministry authorised to censor information.

On Thursday 21 September 2006, the CDR summoned media executives to Army Headquarters and ordered them to stop carrying expressions of public opinion. This included a ban against the common practice of broadcasting viewers' text messages on a news ticker. The junta did not say whether the ban would extend to newspaper editorials or internet web boards.[110]

Thai television broadcasters did not air footage of demonstrations against the coup, including the first major protest on 22 September at Siam Square.[111]

Local cable broadcasts of CNN, BBC, CNBC, NHK, and several other foreign news channels were censored, with any footage involving former Premier Thaksin blacked out.[112]

On Thursday 21 September 2006, The Guardian disclosed that armed soldiers are sitting in every television news studio and control room.[113] As of Thursday 12 October 2006, Suwanna Uyanan, vice president of the Thai Broadcasting Journalists Association, says that soldiers are still occupying Channel 11, where she works.[114]

The nine members of Board of Directors of MCOT, a privatised state-owned media company, resigned on 26 September with effect as of 27 September in order to take responsibility for allowing Thaksin Shinwatra to address the nation on MCOT-controlled Modernine TV (Channel 9).[115]

First I knew of the 2006 coup was when I started for work and saw tanks on the street. They were surrounded by happy Thais taking selfies with the soldiers. It was drizzling rain, so many people brought umbrellas to give to the soldiers.

I don't watch TV, so I missed the music.

I counted and found that this is my seventh Thai coup (or attempt) . (I was out of country for the 1991 coup.) But people ignore - or don't even realise - that "democracy" began in 1932 with a military coup against the absolute monarchy. (It is now eupemistically called the Siamese Revolution of 1932, but a coup plotted by 102 army officers and civil servants hardly constitutes a "revolution".) Thus the military had an example set for them, which they have not hesitated to follow whenever they see fit. Also worth remembering is that when the "Khana Ratsadorn" (People's Party) seized power in 1932, it created a unicameral legislature that initially was half elected by the voters and half appointed by the coup makers themselves - hardly an auspicious beginning.

p.s. My neighbour tells me that BBC TV is back now, plus some other channels.