Us Secretary Of State Kerry's Threat To Stop Aid Slammed

Flashermac

Did'nt the military give everyone a chance to sort things out, what other choices were left.

The military have already announced on national TV that they will honour the rice pledge and pay the farmers. They have also said they will look into reforms and once done will call elections.

Something tells me just maybe this time it might be different, I really hope so anyway, never before has 200 leaders of all parties been all rounded up and detained. Of course this is not normal, but something had to happen which it has to avoid any further loss of life on all sides.

You wouldn't believe how insular the Untied States is and is becoming even more so. My sister tells me virtually nothing was reported about the Thai protests over the government's ramming through the amnesty bill to pardon Thaksin or the months-long anti-government protests that followed it. Now suddenly the headlines are screaming "Coup in Thailand!" People are shocked

Flash,

1. First off, no one is shocked here in the US. No gives a shit in reality. For those that care i.e. : ex-pats and regular visitors, it's a different story.

2. The amnesty bill is in no way comparable to a coup.

3. Your sister should not rely on televised news if she wants to keep up with Thailand.

So the military will rig the next election, just like in the last coup.

My understanding is that the generals, including Prayuth, all have to be sponsored by the ring around the Monarch, eg the Ammart, establishment, whatever you want to call them. Prayuth is certainly a royalist and not in any way, shape or form 'unbiased.'

It seems that this was end game from the beginning of the protests - or at least it was certainly predicted accurately: destabilize the government via attrition, set up the coup. There's also the question of who will be controlling the government when a certain transition of power takes place - and they do NOT want it to be the redshirts.

I don't know. There's this kind of expat ecstasy on display in going after Thaksin, but this coup bullshit seems far far uglier (than Thaksin) in my book. Actually a lot of expats are kind of repulsive in their jubilation (not here, have a lot of respect for my friends here who definitely disagree with me).

And yes, the 10 million is paltry, it's more about publicity and face and relations - not a threat to bankrupt the kingdom. Actually one of the rare instances I agree with US policy, though personally I think we stick our nose where it doesn't belong way too often.

Flash,

1. First off, no one is shocked here in the US. No gives a shit in reality. For those that care i.e. : ex-pats and regular visitors, it's a different story.

2. The amnesty bill is in no way comparable to a coup.

3. Your sister should not rely on televised news if she wants to keep up with Thailand.

Quoted for truth.

I remember the shock in Alabama when folks read about Thaksin going to war with Georgia.

What? Fortified red wine?

According to US laws (and treaty agreements) when a democratically elected government is overthrown via military coup, financial aid must be cut off. Now all sorts of exceptions can be made (Egypt s a prime example). Up to the affirmative action president Obama.