: Thank you my friend and answer all the questions

jasmine

Very good observations from you and Jitima. I would tend to agree. Japan was a closed country for centuries and until they were forced to open to the west in the 1800s. Since then there have been a few waves of migrations (to America, Brazil). Expat Japanese write home and tell of their success, etc. and this precipitates more migration.

Chinese have also had a lot of contact with the west and under foreign control for periods in their history (Manchurian, British, etc.) Due to hard times there or whatever, they have migrated in great numbers and set up a network as middlemen and merchants in a lot of countries including other Asian countries (Thailand, Malaysia, etc.).

Thais seem to have a stronger tie to their own country, it is changing a little as with time, there is more contact with the west and communication, media, internet, etc. has made the world smaller.

Thai communities are starting to pop up now in places like Los Angeles and is growing. In time, I think there will be more migration. And with time adaption will be easier.

Also, sorry to hear of your collective experiences with farangs who mistake you for BG, etc. Relaying experiences like that here on this board may make some of us think twice about how we interact wtih someone and consider our actions.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know many Mainland chinese GTG?? All mainland chinese I know love China, and many would be happy to live there if they could make money. Money is pretty much number one driving force for them, although I do not have enough personal experience yet in China to comment on materialism.

Sure they adapt well most places they go, but were they colonised by Europeans or caucasians?? Not really valid for the Philippines, its more to do with the education system I think.

The biggest asset Philippinos have is their education system, from what I have seen its far ahead of Thailand. Skilled Filippinas are sought after in many countries for work, and they have the ability to think for themselves and trouble shoot a problem, a skill sadly lacking in Thailand.

You think not being colonized makes you special?? I think its one of the reasons Thailand is so far behind the rest of the world... smile.gif

I don't know about buffalo.

there is no buffalo in their farm. We have a lot of pigs. my farther also has to go Hua Hin, Khanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Petchaburi to look after his fields. there are many employees who comes from issan in his farm.

Jitty

The biggest asset Philippinos have is their education system, from what I have seen its far ahead of Thailand. Skilled Filippinas are sought after in many countries for work, and they have the ability to think for themselves and trouble shoot a problem, a skill sadly lacking in Thailand.

You think not being colonized makes you special?? I think its one of the reasons Thailand is so far behind the rest of the world...

We, Thais should regret that we haven't been colonized? Thais are so stupid that why our country is so far behide because those colonizer cant colonized Thailand?

If the only way to be developing country at same level as USA ,UK ,etc is colonized by them. I prefer this way,tobe what we are,to choose our own way,not just because colonizer want us to.

You said that Phillippine have a bett education system , I dont know but what I KNew is they speak english. And perhaps that ability to speak english leading you to LISTEN and UNDERSTAND what they are thinking and talking about? A coin have 2 faces, what Fillipinos had lost because of the colonized, Nothing?

Hello,

To Khun Jittima, no apology is needed. This is the reply to GTG and other people. First, the first time I left Thailand, I was still in High school (Triam Udom), spent sometime as an exchange student, staying with the kindest family and faced no problem in school at all. My father had some schooling in England and he was the first person who taught me English since I was very young and I have been speaking English since I was around 10 years old. There are only 2 children, my brother and I and my family raised me a little differently from a traditional Thai norm. It is ok to be assertive in my family so I am quite open and do not hesitate to speak my mind to the fault of being sometimes blunt. Believe me, I was sent home from school a few times with bad report cards for speaking up too much in schools when I was little. There were many times that my father had to go to the schools to counsel with the teachers. However, when I was in the Triam Udom school, the speaking up was not the issue and I was fortunate to have a few teachers to guide me. My family is not rich, my father who was a patrol policeman got killed on duty before I finished High School, my mother who is not well educated worked on our banana farms and food stalls to send my brother and me to schools. I came to the States on scholarships and grants, worked full time at night when going for the M.S. degree. Wanted to go for the PhDs but could not afford it then.

The US has a law against discrimination; however, it exists at work and outside. I have been lucky in both school and work but have seen discrimination against other Asians and minorities. Please, do not have an impression that it was easy to be where I am today. Being a female and a minority is an obstacle in itself. I just do not feel that I have more obstacles than the born Americans in my career.

On the earlier post I stated that I formed a union to help Asian Americans cope at work. We addressed the equal promotion issues. From that experience, the following could be the issues:

· Asians are really hard workers, tend to have higher education comparing to the peers but do not socialize enough that the work politics is covered. The social behavior became obstacles in getting promotion to management positions.

· Good command of English. The complaint was the accent and I really jumped on this one. I admit that some accent is difficult to understand but most Asians working with me are highly educated and their accent does not prevent one from getting the intended message across. The accent can be improved and it takes time. Probing further tuned out to be the basic personalities and social issues.

The US is a huge country and protocols and social behavior can be different depending on what part of the country one is living. I lived in Louisiana (South) for 16 years, and other states are Nebraska California, Utah and now in West Virginia but work in Washington DC area. I find the Washington DC area people are easier to deal with (at work and in public) for there are many foreign-born personnel, tolerance and respect for each other seems to be commanded.

Sorry that this note is a bit lengthy. I would like to address on the buffalo subject though. I had a roommate once in college who was from a cattle farm in Omaha, Nebraska who had her favorite cow picture on the wall. We put up with her talking about the cow so much that after a few weeks, we all agreed that her cow was quite cute. Love is the most wonderful thing and it does not require much rationale. I will post one day about a friend who lost her housekeeper because the young housekeeper missed her buffalo so much she had to go home.

Cheers.

I will post one day about a friend who lost her housekeeper because the young housekeeper missed her buffalo so much she had to go home.

Wow, that 's a cute story. I would want to hear that from you someday Khun Jasmine:)

You think not being colonized makes you special?? I think its one of the reasons Thailand is so far behind the rest of the world...

You cannot seriously think that colonization actually improves the economy and culture of the colonized country? I can provide you the names of several former colonies of Europen nations that are considered 3rd world today and wish they had somewhere near Thailand's economic standing.

Colonization was not a great gift, it was actually a form of systematic pillaging. Japan has never been colonized by Europe and today it has the second largest financial and industrial economy (done with miniscule natural resources mind you). China has not been colonized by Europe and today it is the most feared emerging economy by the West.

Hi Jittima and Jasmine

I have lived in Australia and Thailand. So has my wife. Honestly, it's not that difficult to live in either place. Thailand has a better atmosphere, Australia has cleaner streets...

The hardest thing is adapting career wise. In Australia I have a decent job, whilst in Thailand I couldn't see much of a career path besides teaching. Conversely, my wife had a very good job as a senior Pharmacist in Thailand...but here has had to work her way up again. Career is the hardest thing to 'transport' with you...

Attitude wise...and life wise...we are both 'mai pen rai'. We'll probably end up in Thailand and, hopefully, run a business. It won't worry me for a second to live there permanently. I love the people and the lifestyle.

I think a lot of Thai's underestimate their own country...and over-estimate the west. Life in Thailand is as good as anywhere in the world IMO. It'sa great country:-)

The money thing is over-estimated also. Sure, wages are much higher here. However, does it really matter in real terms? A good house here costs 5 times as much as it does in Thailand...

Don't want to hijack the thread but colonization has been successful in some cases. Look at Hong Kong, USA etc. Both former British colonies and both extremely successful countries. Japan may not have been colonized but it has certainly been conquered by and assisted by the US whose servicemen were based there in their thousands, in fact still are in Okinawa. Again Germany, although not colonized by the Allies, was assisted financially by the allied powers and is now a thriving economy fifty years after being devastated. China was not so much colonized as occupied by a number of European nations with their own small cantons and areas of interest. China was also conquered by the Japanese who brought in their own teachers etc in an attempt to colonize the country. The only reason why China is a competitor is due to its vast size, large populace and cheap labour. Put in place European/US health and safety legistlation and the place would grind to a halt.

Anyways, back to Thailand and adaptation to Western life.

Archived