: Thank you my friend and answer all the questions

jasmine

Re : colonization is good

Please name one country (other than Chile) which was colonized by the Spanish and currently enjoys a decent standard of living ?

They raped Mexico and South America, and laid waste to entire civilizations. Dont get me started on machismo and Catholicism ...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree there, the philippines had a rough time, what with the japs coming in and the yanks setting up education and then basically walking out. Sure the filipinos have noone to blame but themselves over the current state of the country, they still adapt better and are better educated.

I have many Thai friends who study at university, and do you know what they say to me, our education system allows no free thought, we are taught to follow the book and not question.

I see every day Thais unable to problem shoot, unable to grasp the concept of there being more than one way to do something. This all comes from education. Do you think this will change?? no way, the rich chinese thai minority, who also happen to run the show here from every level dont want it to change, they would loose their cash cows then wouldnt they. It is the nature of Thais to blame someone else. Look at the country before 97 when there were alot of expats here managing companies, now look at it, its a joke.

Filipinos will always have a better education system, the Yanks saw to that. Its the one decent thing they left in the country. I cannot agree more that the Philippines is a terrible disorganised just as corrupt place to live and far dirtier and more unstable than Thailand, I say that from staying there, and having dozens of Filipino friends.

Thais have trouble to adapt period, you only have to look at the less educated and their inability to even try different foods or go somewhere not 'Thai' enough. This is the majority, sure there are Thais living in western countries, but what percentage of the population is it?? not very high thats for sure. I have not met one Thai woman who could change for me, they all expected the foriegner to change to suit them. This is really grass roots stuff.

Thais want western products, worship beauty and materialism, yet you harp on about how you would rather have what you have instead of being colonized? Doesnt it appear as if you have colonized yourselves, to our lifestyle??

Personally If I was Thai I could do without paying a Monk for my magic lottery tickets, bending over everytime someone screwed me or made a mistake and wanted me to wear it, and definitely wouldnt live with 5 of my mates in a 40sq metre apartment so I could afford the repayments on my secondhand benz by working 16 hours a day 7 days a week.

Don't want to hijack the thread

[color:blue] Too late thread is hijacked, happens everyday and it naturally morphs into a beautiful new entity. color=blue>

colonization has been successful in some cases. Look at Hong Kong, USA etc. Both former British colonies and both extremely successful countries

[color:blue] Oh yeah the USA was a real successful colony. Take into consideration that the colonists rebelled against the British within 2 generations and then proceeded to exterminate the indigenous Native American population. Very successful indeed. Hong Kong okay, it's a success. For every HongKong I can tick off 3 countries in Africa, South America, Asia etc where the native population gained very little versus what European nations extracted. color=blue>

Japan may not have been colonized but it has certainly been conquered by and assisted by the US whose servicemen were based there in their thousands, in fact still are in Okinawa. Again Germany, although not colonized by the Allies, was assisted financially by the allied powers and is now a thriving economy fifty years after being devastated.

[color:blue] Germany and Japan who had their own land grabs already had strong economies and cultures prior to wartime defeats. We are talking about colonization not war defeats and reconstruction. Two totally different topics. color=blue>

China?? pleease, I have had products manufactured in China, quality sucks, like Sukhumvit said, cheap labour, VERY CHEAP, yet no standards, no control, give them quality of life, decent wages and safety standards, and China would stop dead. How about Indonesia?? the Portugese fucked over Timor, but Indonesia managed very successfully to fuck itself over. You think China is a great place to live?? even though the chinese people say they love their country, how many of them want to get the hell out eh?? All my chinese friends love their country, its a natural human reaction, but reality is the place aint so great to live in and they know it.

Japan?? cmon, the yanks rebuilt Japan along with Germany after blowing the shit out of them, thats the real reason Japan had the opportunity to develop into a manufacturing Giant. Do Japanese people adapt well outside japan?? not really, xenophobia is hard to shake.

Its like the open minded well adapted Thais you meet back home, you dont realise what a minority they are until you live in Thailand, this appears to be the case for all countries. I have met Australians I wanted to get the hell away from, small minded bigots who know nothing of the outside world except what they see glorified on the news. Funny it comes back to education level, to me it appears the better educated and more exposed we are, the better chance we have of adapting to strange surroundings.

>Japan?? cmon, the yanks rebuilt Japan along with Germany after blowing the shit out of them,

Please enlighten me how "yanks rebuilt Japan"? Back at school there was little emphasis on 'modern history' of Asia after WW2. The Marshall Aid was for Europe, so you could claim that the USA rebuilt Germany. However, I never learned that there were such perks for Japan. As far as I know, the only bit the 'yanks' rebuilt was the Japanese constitution to make sure that they would 'never' be a military power.

Wagner

I think your view of the effects of colonization is rather myopic and superficial. Countries were colinized because they lacked the advantages of Western technology and science. How do you put a monetary value on the effects this exposure brought to the country? Take the US-it would never have developed into the great country it is today under the stewardship of the native americans (they were not exterminated). Or how about this-building the Panama Canal was possible because yellow fever was conquered.

wsvinja,

there are more ways to rebuild a country by for example letting it rebuild itself by opening your home markets for their products. what would the Japanese ( German ) economy be without exports to USA ? I would even value this higher than direct financial aid if you look at Eastern Germany. They have been stripped from any industrial infrastructure by the Russians and still became the most successful of all East European colonies, although to Western standards they were in a total mess of course.

bb

Archived