Places To Play Spades And Dominoes In Bkk?

whcouncill

Once, a long time ago (circa 1997) I was walking with a Thai girl in tow, on the second floor of Nana Plaza around 5:00 pm, headed to Woodstock, from the escalator - and I was approaching a group of Thai louts playing dominos on a board set up accross two plastic milk crates. I was amused by the very animated way in which they played each domino - SLAMMING it down to make a loud smack.

Then, there was some sort of a "hoot" exclamation from behind me - back by the escalator - and in a flash of assholes and elbows - the domino "table" disappeared - the dominos were dumped into one of the milk crates, and the board now became a bench covering the milk crates - and two of the players were now seated, lounging lazily on the "bench", picking their noses. This all happened in the space of me taking about three steps - I had NEVER seen Thais move that fast, and I burst out laughing. The Thai girl scolded me, and pushed me on past the scene of the crime. Once we were inside Woodstock, she told me that the "hoot" was a warning call that Police were heading up the escalator (or stairs) - and that the domino game was illegal in Thailand, because it was a gambling game - and I thought she was joking - but further investigation revealed that she was spot on.

Pinball machines are also evidently "illegal gamblimg devices" - so you will rarely see one (although there are a few of some type of similar machine in the alley bewteen Sukhumvit Sois 5 and 7).

And - believe it or not - there is also a law on the books (generally unenforced) that requires businesses with pool tables to get a license for them - so as to control them as potential "gambling devices".

Cheers!

SS

Hi,

Yep, like Stonesoup says, playing card games is illegal in Thailand. I've seen playing cards and dominos for sale from time to time though (streetstalls, never in shops).

Sanuk!

bridge is legal in Thailand, many official clubs to prove this.