Suthep Defends His Riot Control Role In 2010

Flashermac

Suthep Thaugsuban, former deputy prime minister, appeared at the Criminal Court Monday morning to defend his role in cracking down on rioters in 2010, which resulted in many red shirt rioters dead and injured.

He testified in the court for a case he filed against Department of Special Investigation (DSI) former director-general Tarit Pengdit and three other DSI senior officials of malfeasance and power abuse for indicting murder and attempted murder charges against former premier Abhisit Vejjajiva and him in connection with a legitimate crackdown on rioters in April and May 2010.

Suthep admitted ordering troops to shoot at rioters with shotguns, but at below the knee level; when men in black emerged from among the rioters and started to fire at soldiers with assault rifles, prompting the need for self-defence.

He said he alone ordered the shooting and Abhisit did not give any shooting order. :hmmm:

Abhisit has earlier testified in the court on the case.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-defends-riot-control-role-2010/

>>Suthep admitted ordering troops to shoot at rioters with shotguns, but at below the knee level

....Quite a momentous decision ordering troops to fire live rounds on your fellow citizens. Presumably such a strict order (below knee level) would be in writing...or is he just making it up to cover his arse?

Many soldiers were carrying shotguns using rubber bullets. I never read any reports of people wounded with buckshot or bird shot. I expect that is what Suthep is saying. (Remember that a Thai reporter wrote that.) I'd be surprised if he admitted he allowed using live rounds against the protesters. But in Thailand, one never knows.

I wonder why no charges have been brought against ex-PM Somchai Wongsawat, Takky's bro-in-law, for authorising the police to use force against the PAD demonstrations in 2008. Two people (one a woman) were killed by exploding police gas grenades, more were seriously injured (losing feet or even legs), and as many as a thousand may have suffered minor injuries in the clashes with police.